my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  FAE Tech-Forum Online   » Misc Terms   » GENERIC   » PX5 USB Pinout

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PX5 USB Pinout
Sean
Member # 4668

Rate Member

posted November 29, 2001 08:50     Profile for Sean   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Does anyone know the pinout of the 16 pin USB block on the PX5 motherboard? I'm trying to connect a StarTech USB Plate (2, 5 pin connectors) without frying anything. The manual is useless.

TIA

Sean

brokenback
Member # 1187

Rate Member

posted November 29, 2001 14:30     Profile for brokenback   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There are 4 pin & 5 pin USB headers on motherboards. most older boards used 5 pin headers & sometimes these will be side by side. i found the correct connection this way.

Pin 1 (that is pin 1 of a USB connector, colour red)is VCC, 5 volts, use a multimeter to measure this.
Pin 2 is -data (minus data, colour white)
Pin 3 is +data (plus data, colour green)
Pin 4 is cable ground (earth, black)
Pin 5 is cable shield (earth as well, black/brown)

The bestway to determine you header pin configuration is to measure the pins. Obviously the Vcc(+5 volts) will show up easily. The earths will be easy to find as well. Once you know the VCC & Earth pins the other two in between are the -data & +data. You can repeat this procedue for both headers. Thus you connect the red to the VCC, the -data is next in line, then the +data, then earth & the other earth for shield. Remember once you have the VCC & earth correct you cannot damage the USB because if you swapp the -data & +data cables, the USB will not work.

The USB cable colours should be pretty standard, although the black/brown my be different. The four pin USB headers usually combine the shield & earth or drop the shield wire. The pins are easily changed as they can be backed out of their connector by pressing in a small lock tab. You should find that the USB card you are using should slot straight in once you identify the VCC & earth. I had to change my connectors (the one that connected to the USB header) as mine had 4 pins & the USB header had 5 pins. Although i could have left the shield off.

Good luck

Posts: 29 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are (GMT +08:00) Taipei  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | ABIT Q-Station