my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  FAE Tech-Forum Online   » Intel Pentium II / Pentium !!! / Celeron Motherboards   » BP6   » BP6 in combination with a IBM 60GXP hdd

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BP6 in combination with a IBM 60GXP hdd
Bigfoot
Member # 2627

Rate Member

posted August 28, 2001 08:27     Profile for Bigfoot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am trying to get my BP6 working with an IBM 60GXP (40 GB).

I had the board working with a 2 Gb hdd with no problems.
But with the ibm drive i cannot get the board stable.
e.g.

Linux:

redhat 7.1 hangs during install (file copy fase)
Mandrake 8.0 installsa ok but intermittent hangups

windows 98 se : random hangups

BEOS : kernel panic during booting

windows XP : hangs during install

I've searched the net and several boards, but i'm not getting asny closer to a solution.

my impresssion is that the cause is the ibm drive on the HPt controller.

I'm using the RU bios, HPT is on 1.22 and the IBM is brandnew so not suspecting it to be faulty (i'm going to test it with IBM drive fitness test later)

Does anyone have this setup working ?

What i want to install is Redhat linux 7.1.

Can anyone explain how to use the linux patch highpoint is offering on their site?

Hoping someone can help me before this board drives me bonkers...

Posts: 1 | From: Schiedam, The Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
fishears
Member # 2683

Rate Member

posted September 21, 2001 19:11     Profile for fishears   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
have you checked that your IBM HD is set to run at UDMA-66 (i think its a UDMA-100 drive by default)?
I know some HDs need to be told to run slower (by jumpers or sometimes you have to download a piece of software from the manufacturer).

gnapp
Member # 3745

Rate Member

posted October 20, 2001 03:24     Profile for gnapp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well ive got the same problem an ibm hard disk deskstar 60gxp, i went to the store and they told me that ibm newer disks have problems with the hpt366 driver, if anyone finds a solution to this prob please reply to this and ill do the same

All times are (GMT +08:00) Taipei  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | ABIT Q-Station