my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  FAE Tech-Forum Online   » Intel Pentium II / Pentium !!! / Celeron Motherboards   » BX133-RAID   » getting Hardware Malfunction on win2k

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: getting Hardware Malfunction on win2k
ND
Member # 2019

Rate Member

posted July 30, 2001 14:35     Profile for ND   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've a mobo bx133-raid and in Win2k AdvSrv I'm getting a blue screen saying "Hardware Malfunction" all the time
I tryed all possible combinations of cards memory cpus hds, etc and the problem persist (no overclocking)
my system is at follows :
- CPU Intel 800E (100Mhz FSB)
- 2 dimms 256Mb PC133 memory spectek each
- SBLive
- 2 ethernets Realtek 8139A 10/100Mbps
- Voodoo3 3000 AGP
- Maxtor 40Gb DiamondMAX UDMA100
- Creative Labs 6x DVD IDE

please let me know if it is a motherboard hardware problem, because with an asus p2b the same system works ok
I've the latest bios and the latest drivers for the High Point controler
I tryed the hd in the udma33 controler and the problem persist
any help please ! thanx

pawel
Member # 2150

Rate Member

posted August 06, 2001 17:09     Profile for pawel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi!
My system is at follows :
- CPU Celeron 766(66Mhz FSB)
- 256Mb 3 different but ok
- SBLive
- Voodoo3 2000 AGP
- Caviar 20GB Ata 100
- Tuner Tv Pixel
I have the same problem with W2k:
Hardware Malfunction
The System has halted
With WinMe everything is ok.
There is something wrong with this motherboard.

kmaximus
Member # 1731

Rate Member

posted August 18, 2001 07:56     Profile for kmaximus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Make it 3, I have the same problem, but when I down clock my P3 1gig to 100Mhz bus, everthing works. I have yet to figure it out. I can boot into WinMe and 98 at 1.3, but only 750 with Windows2k??? Very odd, it has to be something in 2K.
Posts: 17 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
J.J.
Member # 3069

Rate Member

posted September 16, 2001 18:27     Profile for J.J.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have the same problem in WinXP! Tried sending an e-mail to ABIT, but they won't answear me
I've tried installing WIN2K, same problems. Starting to think the BX133 is incompatible with win2k/xp.

If anyome comes up with a solution, please e-mail me.

This is the mail I sent to them:

After upgrading from WinME to WinXP (final build 2600), I have got
allot of trouble with the stability of my computer.
My system consist of the following components:

-BX133-RAID Motherboard
-Pentium3 FCPGA 700 MHz processor
-2 ea. IBM-DTLA 307030 30 Gb Harddrive, RAID 0, 64K stripe, NTFS
partition
-256 Mb PC133 SDRAM
-ASUS V6800 GeForce DDR graphic card

(I have a number of other components, but it's not essential, since
I've tried unplugging all w/o any improvements).

Here is a description of my problem:
When I stressing my harddrives, i.e defragmenting or using SiSofts
Sandra 2001te Pro's "drive benchmark", I get the "blue screen of
death" saying "Hardware Malfunction". This happens at the default
speed of the processor (700 MHz). At higher front side bus setting,
the problem get worse; at 133 FSB (933 MHz), the "hardware
malfunction" happens at normal use of my computer.

I had no problem running WinMe. Stable as rock at 933 MHz. Only
difference is, in WinXP I'm using NTFS instead of FAT32, and 64K
striping instead of 16K.

This is what I've tried to solve the problem:
-Unplugging every PCI card, CD/DVD ROM and external devices.
-Disabled RAID, installed WinXP on each harddrive.
-Setting a lower PIO mode
-Flashed the BIOS with different versions, including one "modified" ZW
mainboard BIOS with the HPT370 1.2.0612 BIOS.
-Uppgraded the original HPT370 1.0.5 windows driver to v1.2.0612.
-Tried different BIOS settings
-Installed IBM's Drive Fitness Test (version 2.10) and stress tested
each harddrive in DOS (no errors reported from the S.M.A.R.T. system)

None of the above made any difference, still getting "hardware
malfunction".

I also installed HD Tach v2.61 and the result from the test indicates
that something is not right. The graph is very erratic, totally
different from what i got in WinME. I graph was almost straight in
WinME, and the "Random Access Time" around 8,5ms. The "Sequential
Speed" was also much higher, but that could be the difference between
16 and 64 K stripe. I have attached a snapshot of the test to this
mail, so you can see for yourself.

Since everything was ok in WinME, could there be a incompatibility
issue with motherbord/harddisk controller/RAID controller and WinXP,
or could there be a faulty motherboard that only shows with WinXP?

If you need any more information, please ask, and I'll be happy to
provide it. I can make Sandra Pro generate a report for you, just tell
me what to include in it.

Posts: 3 | From: Norway | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
kmaximus
Member # 1731

Rate Member

posted September 20, 2001 08:49     Profile for kmaximus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Alright, this is what I think. I took my system to work and just threw all kinds of hardware at it.

The only way I got it stable with a 133 bus CPU was a 866 P3 with bios set to fail-safe defaults. And still about 30percent of the time, it gave me the Hardware Malfunction.

After 2 days of testing I think it's defiantly the board that's the problem, and more specificly the High-Point controller. I think there was a batch of bad boards go out and I think Abit needs to address this and handle it accordingly.

I have talked to many other people in other forums and in person and they all agree that there is something wrong with the board.

[ September 20, 2001: Message edited by: kmaximus ]

[ September 20, 2001: Message edited by: kmaximus ]

Weekender
Member # 3095

Rate Member

posted September 21, 2001 00:00     Profile for Weekender   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Same problem here... supplier won't change board if works ok on their test bed

I've e-mailed Abit and asked for a fix, or atleast comfirmation that there is a fault with the board so I can get it changed.

Still waitin for a reply...

Have clocked me FSB down to 100mHz as someone suggested... thanks for that... its only crashed once since, but I have lost 200mHz

P3 800(133) - now a 600(100)
512MB PC133
Matrox G450 Dualhead

At 133 FSB got the BSOD everytime I ran Checkdisk... gotta be the IDE/ATA 100... or so it would seem...

Help us a-bit-o-kenobe, you're our only hope...

kmaximus
Member # 1731

Rate Member

posted September 21, 2001 14:24     Profile for kmaximus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I sent a very stern but respectful email to Abit and got a response yesterday. They are going to replace my replacement board with a new one. So, this will be my third board. I do miss my first one, it didn't boot right, but I didn't have any of these weird problems.

My advice, contact Abit and ask for a replacement.

Weekender
Member # 3095

Rate Member

posted September 21, 2001 20:21     Profile for Weekender   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
UPDATE!!... Right...

Processor back upto 800mHz(133)..

HDD back on normal IDE channel...

ATA100 enabled in BIOS, but disabled in W2K... and.... anti-hex, anti-hex, seems to be OK

Please let this last!!!

kmaximus
Member # 1731

Rate Member

posted September 22, 2001 09:33     Profile for kmaximus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I took your route Weekender, I set my Raid controller to PIO and booted into XP, but while i was typing a response the familiar Blue Screen returned. I am happy it is working for you. I am very picky about this kinda stuff, so I am sending mine back. I should be able to run my HDD at ATA100, that's one of the reasons I bought this board.

Anyway, let us know how it goes.

Weekender
Member # 3095

Rate Member

posted September 24, 2001 18:46     Profile for Weekender   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's back!!!

Gettin VERY pi..... annoyed now

Nevermind... ABIT?? you there??

J.J.
Member # 3069

Rate Member

posted September 24, 2001 21:30     Profile for J.J.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sent the following mail to:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Hi!

Could you please have a look at the FAE Tech-Forum here: http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=000022

There seems to be a bad batch of the BX-133 Raid motherboard, and we
would like an official statement from you....NOW!

Posts: 3 | From: Norway | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
kmaximus
Member # 1731

Rate Member

posted September 25, 2001 12:43     Profile for kmaximus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I asked them when I was getting a return setup and I didn't get a response. I guess, it's gonna be on a personal basis to get a new board. Like I said before, if you are having this problem. GET A NEW ONE, and quick. Before the warranty runs out.
kmaximus
Member # 1731

Rate Member

posted October 15, 2001 00:59     Profile for kmaximus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just an update:

I received my replacement board acouple of days ago. The board is the older version with the Blue plastic around the raid controllers, rather than the orange of my previous. I am now running my P3 back at 1.3 in Windows 2000 and XP and everything is working flawlessly. The only grip I have is that the board I receive was obviously used and some of the pins where bent alittle. Anyway, I will thank Abit for helping with my problem.

Ben - UK
Member # 3838

Rate Member

posted October 24, 2001 18:39     Profile for Ben - UK   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Blue screen problems? Me too!

When installing Win2K I get blue a screen message,

'hardware failure, please contact your hardware vendor'.

I have managed to install W2K successfully once but was continually recieveing this message within 3 minutes following start up. I have not been able to install W2K since.

I was also getting problems with Win98 (kept restarting) however a bios flash seems to have fixed this for now.

I have been looking for a resolution for some time but to no avail.

My system...
(Abit BX133)
Intel Pentuim FSB133 933Mhz
256Mb PC133 RAM
Hercules 3d Prophet II (32Mb)

Weekender
Member # 3095

Rate Member

posted October 24, 2001 23:32     Profile for Weekender   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Have sent the following e-mail to Abit... again

you never know....

Hello,

Could you please look at the A-Bit tech forum below and please give us some advise.
http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=000022

I have managed to get my sytem running stabily with FSB down to 100mHz and ATA 100 disabled in WIN2K.

P3 800(133) - now a 600(100)
512MB PC133
Matrox G450 Dualhead

However, as I have (or my company has) paid for a 800mHz P3 and and ATA100 drive, it would be nice to be able to use them :-)

At 133 FSB got the 'Hardware Malfunction' BSOD everytime I ran Checkdisk...

Thanks & Best Regards

mc
Member # 3931

Rate Member

posted October 28, 2001 04:32     Profile for mc   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Same problem here too with WinXP and Win2k; ("Hardware Malfunction, Consult your vendor").
System config:
PIII 1ghz (now 750mhz (100 fsb)
BX133 Raid
256mgs PC150 SDRAM
Herc Prophet II Ultra 64meg
SB Live!

System runs fine (I think) after I've booted it up and let it crash about 4 times, funny thing is once I turn on my modified case fan that's pointed at the processor and the temp drops a few degrees it blue screens again. It won't even boot at all unless I've told it it's a "7.5 X 100", also had to enable the "PNP OS" option in BIOS to keep from forcing harware assignments.
I've been taking all my frustrations out on Quake III all morning for about 6hrs. Hasn't crashed yet (haven't turned my fan back on either ).

[ October 28, 2001: Message edited by: mc ]

Posts: 2 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ND
Member # 2019

Rate Member

posted October 29, 2001 12:09     Profile for ND   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well, for all the people that have problems with this mobo, I confirmed that there was a defect in some component of the motherboard (not necesary the hpt chip, i think it's some bad capasitor)
definitely there are some bad batch of bx133's floating around

in the shop where I bought it, I changed for another (exactly same model) for about 3 times !! and the time number 4 I get one that works flawlesly

the test that I used for check if I deal with a bad one is SisoftSandra HD benchmark, with all the cpu/memory speeds at normal values, using normal udma33 controler.

hope that this help to everyone, if you want to ask me some question : [email protected]

mc
Member # 3931

Rate Member

posted October 30, 2001 11:06     Profile for mc   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Update:
Here's the latest on my rig.
OS=WinXP
Once I get it to boot with bios set at:
1ghz(133)(this will only happen if I've had it on all day) and go straght into Quake3 Arena, I can play it all day. The minute I exit out I get the "blue screen". This is using the "ber_ZW" bios. I tried reverting back to "ber_UK"...didn't work any better. If I want to do it all I have to set CMOS to "750(100)", and let it crash around 6 times before it will stay stable.

Posts: 2 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
MiG
Member # 4205

Rate Member

posted November 09, 2001 18:38     Profile for MiG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thx guys,

you saved me a lot of time and money

I was about to buy myself a new Promise Ultra100 Card, because of that "hardware
malfunction" thing.

Although my prob is slightly different, because I don´t use the onboard-raid (Ultra100 instead).

I have two bx-133 both running well untill I try to copy something over the local LAN with win2k.
Win2k to w98 LAN copy = works (svf-checked)
win2k to win2k LAN copy = "hardware
malfunction"

Perhaps I got a bad mobo too?

Posts: 4 | From: Germany | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
MiG
Member # 4205

Rate Member

posted November 09, 2001 20:21     Profile for MiG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Forgot my system-specs:

- CPU Intel 850E (100Mhz FSB)
- 3 x 128Mb PC133 infineon CL2
- SBLive! Value (Slot5/IRQ 11+IRQ7)
- Realtek 8139B 100Mbps (LAN/Slot4/IRQ 10)
- Realtek 8019 10Mbps (DSL/ISA/IRQ 5)
- Voodoo5 5500 AGP (IRQ 3)

- Promise Ultra100 IDE Controler (Slot3/IRQ 15)
- Seagate ST380012A 80GB UDMA100
- Seagate ST313640A 13GB UDMA33
- IBM DTLA 351680 16GB UDMA33
(HD´s on Ultra100 on Slot3, HPT disabled)

- Plextor PX-W1210A
- Creative Labs 12x DVD IDE
(CD/CD-RW on IDE1, IDE2 disabled

- 300W Power Supply

I have an (almost) identical spec´ed 2nd Comp without any probs. Wired thing...

Molardistalizer
Member # 4092

Rate Member

posted November 10, 2001 00:12     Profile for Molardistalizer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Again, I have four of these boards three work correctly, the board that I purchased last year does not work correctly. The bios is different, I even flashed the bios and it still would not load Win 2k. Boot up computer hold delete to into Cmos setup. Go down to advance chipset settings. If your bios reads sdram ras to cas in the first line and sdram precharge time in the second line,sdram cas latency time in the third and sdram precharge on the forth then you have the newer board if it does not say this then you have the older board. Try to flash upgrade the bios but be dam sure that you know what the hell your doing but installing correct bios; can save your previous setting on floppy and reinstall it. If you screw up its over, donate board to goodwill. It appears that chipset is not supported in Win 2k or XP for that particlar Bios setting. If that does not work, which I do not think it will, you have to fork out another $125.00 beans to get the new board. I am running XP on all of the three boards and they are stable. Bought K-7 Raid mother board and I am happy with the Athlon, 1.4 G it smokes the P-4 1.5 and 1.7 in Sandra Benchmarking but that's another story. If you got the money stop wasting time trying to install Win 2k on that board just visit Monarchcomputer.com and buy board they are really good and will test board before they ship it. Let me know if I can help again, thanks alot and happy hunting!!!!!!!
Posts: 7 | From: Bowie, Maryland | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Molardistalizer
Member # 4092

Rate Member

posted November 10, 2001 00:46     Profile for Molardistalizer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Last thing, if you guys are upgrading to win2k from windows 98 and you of course have correct bios, it may be easier to remove all of your cards from the computer. For obvious reasons you must keep the viedo card. Then when win2k is installed you can add cards one by one. This will allow you to access any hardware incompatiability issues. Trust me they can keep win2k from completing setup! If your doing a clean install then it is real easy if you are upgrading boot up to safe mode then go to device manager and remove cards, modem, nic, sound and other cards. Then power down, then remove cards and boot back up into windows. Check the device manager to see if the components are still there. If devices are still there then delete them again and power down and then back up again. This will clean the Plug and Play directory of all the devices on your computer. Once you install win 2k, then add the components one by one. this should save time and allow you to identifiy a device that is not compatible with 2K or XP. This is just a suggestion and it may or maynot save you time and fustration. Take care.

[ November 10, 2001: Message edited by: Molardistalizer ]

Posts: 7 | From: Bowie, Maryland | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
gybfefe
Member # 4603

Rate Member

posted November 27, 2001 09:00     Profile for gybfefe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So finally SOLVE THE PROBLEM with a strike
hit on the guys at abit.......!!!!!!!!!!!
The real missmatch found in the acpi segment
of the bios memory at 00x77.
It is a read-write error and there are some
docs already at microsoft pages
......I've had a lot of fun while read
through the forum and saw the "guru" magic
tries meanwhile laughing at myself too....
So the only way if somebody could deal with
abit programmers to write a good upgrade for
bios to w2k + winxp Hallo Hello everybody !
ps.: to detect the problem just look at the
xp's event logger Üdv from Hungary

MiG
Member # 4205

Rate Member

posted November 29, 2001 20:36     Profile for MiG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
@gybfefe
Could you plz be a little more specific:
>The real missmatch found in the acpi segment
>of the bios memory at 00x77.
>It is a read-write error and there are some
>docs already at microsoft pages
Where exactly did you find this infos...?

[VS]Thomas
Member # 4648

Rate Member

posted December 01, 2001 17:02     Profile for [VS]Thomas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Gybfefe
Üdv from Hungary )
Megpróbáltam a ZX Bios + HPT370 2.0.1019 -es bios-t de továbbra is "Hardware Malfunction"
üzenetet kapom teljesen véletlanszerűen.
Megköszönném ha elárulnád a titkot hogyan lehetne modosítani a biost hogy jó legyen.
By [VS]Thomas from Hungary

Posts: 2 | From: Hungary | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
ND
Member # 2019

Rate Member

posted December 02, 2001 12:22     Profile for ND   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hey, would you please tell me where you downloaded the zx bios ?
cause the latest found in abit page is zw
thxz

[VS]Thomas
Member # 4648

Rate Member

posted December 03, 2001 17:36     Profile for [VS]Thomas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry I'm tried an ABIt BE6-II. v1.2 bios ZX
not an ABIT BX-133 bios ZW . becuse not same bios at BX-133 and BE6-II v1.2
but the BE6-II v1.2 workd at Win2k without any truble ,but poor AGP Speed

Posts: 2 | From: Hungary | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
gybfefe
Member # 4603

Rate Member

posted December 05, 2001 09:51     Profile for gybfefe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The following information would be nice to
send to Abit programmers, if somebody have
a contact with this automated email sender
group.... http://www.acpi.info/spec.htm
doc could be download from here
üdv Thomas barátunknak ki hasonló problémával
küzd
It is very interesting that there's nothing
on the Abit pages about this problem
At least a message that we work on it....!
or a real contact would give us hope

radar
Member # 4945

Rate Member

posted December 12, 2001 03:05     Profile for radar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I upgraded my system from Win98 to Win2K Pro and I was getting a blue screens saying all kinds of errors from "Hardware Malfunction", “Unreadable registry” and other assorted errors. The “Blue Screens” occurred all the time with out warning. Nothing was consisted yet the problem persists.

I tried all possible combinations of Cards, Memory, CPUs, H.D.s, etc. and the problems again persist.

My system with the exception of the RAID is standard system. It is not overclocked or anything likes that.

The system Information is as follows:

- BX133-RAID Motherboard + Intel Pentium3 FCPGA 733MHz Processor.
- 3 128Mb SDRAM PC100 memory from Crucial for a total of 384Mb.
- 2 Western Digital Caviar WD40BB 40Gb ATA 100 9ms RAID 1 (mirrored).
- Samsung CD-ROM SC-148F.
- BIOS: 05/02/2001-I440BX-W977-6A69KA1CC-ZW
- HPT370 UDMA/ATA100 RAID Controller BIOS V 1.0.3b1
- HPT370 UDMA/ATA100 RAID Controller Driver 1.0.174.30880

Hard drives configuration:

IDE 3 Primary Mirror-1 UDMA 5 39084 MB Boot
IDE 3 Secondary none
IDE 4 Primary Mirror-1 UDMA 5 39084 MB Hidden
IDE 4 Secondary none

I upgraded the RAID controller to HPT370 UDMA/ATA100 RAID Controller Driver 2.0.919.0 from the HighPoint website. It looks like that the problem was resolved.

Note that you have to HighPoint RCM device manually after you updated the controller driver.

All times are (GMT +08:00) Taipei  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | ABIT Q-Station