my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  FAE Tech-Forum Online   » Intel Pentium4 Motherboards   » TH7-RAID / TH7-II RAID   » "Bios Setting" Causing ACPI Sleep not to work.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Bios Setting" Causing ACPI Sleep not to work.
GeekMaster
Member # 3228

Rate Member

posted November 05, 2001 22:47     Profile for GeekMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey out there.
I have found a gotcha in the bios settings.

If you tell the Bios to "Shut down system on CPU Fan Fail", After ACPI S1 or S3 suspend in win2k or WinXP the system will resume and thenpromptly shut down.

The issue here is that 1) you are monitering for CPU Fan Fail, and 2) you wish the system to shut down if the CPU fan should fail ... thus saving the cpu .... Right.

Wrong ...

You can't have both "CPU Fan Fail Detection" and "Shut System Down Upon CPU Fan Fail", while using any of the S1 or S3 ACPI sleep modes.

If you choose both of these options in Bios, then when you resume from StandBy Sleep Mode, the PC will think the Fan has failed and quickly shut itself down.

For all of you thinking that the Raid drivers cause winXP to not resume from ACPI Sleep mode correctly, try checking this. I have WinXP and Win2K both working separately on Pull-out drives. Both systems now function correctly with ACPI after I made the Bios changes outlined above.

The GeekMaster

Posts: 54 | From: Washington State , USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spanky
Member # 3195

Rate Member

posted November 22, 2001 18:21     Profile for Spanky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tks for the info. I still am unable to get to suspend, let alone come out of suspend.

W2K and Me worked perfectly. I virgin Xp install also worked, but once appropriate drivers for RAID (ABIT) were installed, nope, let alone SB and others, likely.

S

GeekMaster
Member # 3228

Rate Member

posted November 22, 2001 21:39     Profile for GeekMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Spanky,
The Promise HD controllers ATA100, Fastrack100 and Fastrack100TX2 will cause the Abit TH7II-Raid to not function in S3 Sleep Mode.

I talked with Chun at Tech Support in USA about this issue. It appears there is a confirmed problem with Promise and HPT controllers and Abit is aware of the problem.

Well ... Damn it ... they need to fix the problem. I am severely dissapointed in Abit's Bios upgrade for both TH7 and TH7II boards. It appears that they don't care or are incapable of fixing the issues which we are plaged with.

In my discussions with Abit (Chun - Tech Support USA) the E-mail I sent 1 week ago really presented my emotional concern about their lack of distribution of Bios releases. I proposed to Chun that he send my concerns to Taiwan. I also proposed a beta bios release program to help Abit fix issues and have us help troubleshoot the bios fixes and bugs through a reply system which could be created. Chun replied to my e-mail and stated he would forward the concerns and descriptions of problems to the Taiwan engineers.

Guess what, ??
3 days after Chun e-mailed my emotional concerns to Taiwan, there was mysteriosly new Flash Bios upgrades posted on the web site for both boards.

I will not post my exact e-mail verbage here for young eyes to read. My concerns were for both boards, I was not specific to only the board I have. I relayed the information I have read on both boards such as Memory issues with th7 and divider issues and S3 issues with th7ii board. I think I hit a key point with Chun that the loyal Abit customers were getting very frustrated and angry.

null I propose that we continue to E-mail Abit tech support and fill their inbox with exact descritptions of problems still remaining. If we flood their inbox and start posting exact information with extreme descriptions, maybe they will read our posts and act upon them. Some of us are posting information, but not exacting detail, maybe we all can get a lot more descriptive in our procedures and troubleshooting techniques.

Thanks for your time,
The GeekMaster

nor
Member # 4476

posted November 25, 2001 07:22     Profile for nor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Spanky,
using the updated bios, the problem does not reveal from the board but from peripheral devices, like video, sound, TV-cards, older SCSI-cards and so on. Most of the cheaper ones do not support ACPI, and it is hard to find the cause without intensive test of every single card.

Posts: 8 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spanky
Member # 3195

Rate Member

posted November 26, 2001 01:26     Profile for Spanky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nor and Geek:

Yup, still no suspend/hibvernate on my system, even with the new bios.

On a clean Xp install, with no other manuf drivers, it would suspend, but the XP drivers for RAID did not give RAId performance, so went to 103.b, after much trial and error, found they worked the best for performance on my system, but that halted suspend.

Then tried a clean XP install and installed W2K SB drivers, and no suspend.

Then tried a clean XP install and installed ZoneAlarm/NAv, and no suspend. To be fair, both of these now have come out with supposedly XP compatible versions, which did not exist when I installed XP Pro.

All my hardward is ACPI compliant, it is a set of driver issues, one being the ABIT HTP driver, that will seemiungly not allow my system to suspend.

A note though, other than suspend/hibernate, my system works great.

S

PS: Geek, tried the bios changes you sugested, and I believe drivers still interfering.

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: Spanky ]

GeekMaster
Member # 3228

Rate Member

posted November 26, 2001 08:59     Profile for GeekMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I did a fresh install of WinXP with Bios 2 on TH7II-Raid board. The only driver I loaded was the HP722c Printer.

No ACPI StandBy mode functional. Then I installed all Intel drivers, Still no StandBy.
Then I installed Video card drivers, latest CD-Rom Install for radeon 64 DDR AGP , Still no StandBy.
I installed SB 5.1 WinXP WDM drivers (new ones from creative) and Still no StandBy.

I think this Bios #2 does not work with ACPI StandBy, They broke it.
It did work on both Win2000 and WinXP for me with Bios #1 with the same hardware and driver setup.

So Much for Abit Engineering or is that abit engineered.

The GeekMaster

DeBruce
Member # 3479

Rate Member

posted November 26, 2001 18:11     Profile for DeBruce   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually I think its ABit Disengineering

--------------------

P4 1.5 @ 1.6GHz on TH7-II (107MHz FSB) with GForce2 Ultra (Core 300MHz, DDR 520MHz). 128MB x 2 NEC RAMBUS Waitin' for the BIOS Upgrade ABit...

All times are (GMT +08:00) Taipei  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | ABIT Q-Station