my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  FAE Tech-Forum Online   » Intel Pentium4 Motherboards   » TH7-RAID / TH7-II RAID   » HDD led not displaying RAID activity??

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HDD led not displaying RAID activity??
coma
Member # 4169

Rate Member

posted November 08, 2001 16:47     Profile for coma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi everyone,

is it possible that the HDD-led of the case is not displaying activity of HDDs connected to the onboard RAID controller? I am sure that I connected the led correctly but it is not blinking during hdd activity.

Thanks,
Dominik

Xeno
Member # 3765

Rate Member

posted November 08, 2001 22:18     Profile for Xeno   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe you have the polarity backwards... Try fliping the conector.

X

coma
Member # 4169

Rate Member

posted November 08, 2001 22:41     Profile for coma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes... i tried that of course. So either the led is broken or the connector onboard is broken or the led is not displaying raid activity. Do you have visual led feedback during raid activity??
coma
Member # 4169

Rate Member

posted November 09, 2001 23:44     Profile for coma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Update: I tried to hook the hdd LED on to the connector for the suspend LED. The led is working in suspend mode so it is not the LED's fault. On hdd connector the LED is still black. Like i said before I only use the RAID ports for harddrives. Anyone out there having LED activity by RAID activity??
legolas
Member # 3844

Rate Member

posted November 10, 2001 00:05     Profile for legolas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
YES!
Posts: 3 | From: Far North | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
coma
Member # 4169

Rate Member

posted November 10, 2001 01:11     Profile for coma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm... okay... so I don't have any clue...

Do you have any drive connected to the standard IDE port, too??

fosgate
Member # 4260

Rate Member

posted November 12, 2001 07:11     Profile for fosgate   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have the same board and the same problem. If I turn out the lights you can see the led flicker faintly. If you look on the motherboard next to the reset switch there is a led also for drive activity. It is just barley visible also. I have two IBM Deskstar 60 gig drives setup as RAID 0. I hope someone can help us.
Xeno
Member # 3765

Rate Member

posted November 12, 2001 09:34     Profile for Xeno   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Urm well I'am running RAID 0 and it works for me..

Here is where it is plugged in at..

.._.._.._.._...

Top row left to right (if you can read the TH-7 RAID chip)

first set unused
second set power sw
third set HDD led
fourth set power led

So third set of the top row?

X

Diane
Member # 3870

Rate Member

posted November 15, 2001 16:43     Profile for Diane   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have the th7II w/o raid and am runing a maxtor 40 ata100 7200 on primary channel and a maxtor 40 gig ata 100 7200 on the secondary channel and I too am having the cant see the hard drive light unless in a black hole or an abyss. Also the cpu vcore reports wrong at setting 1.8 I am just at 1.7 or even worse it is correct and abit cant get the right voltages to all the right places on this board. Any one want to trade for a p4t-e this board is really getting on my last nerve! Only one thing positive I can say is it is running 1 gig of samsung rdram 2 are ecc the others are one sided but not ecc. So it seems if you stay with samsung it is somewhat tolerant with the memory! No bios update sure sucks too as has been addressed in many a thread. It might fix the cpu vcore problem but I doubt it will fix the hdd led. Damn thing is the place I purchased it at looks at ya stupid if you want another board because the the led is dim real dim.
I also have a Promise ata 100 controler card and a siig ive tried in it also, plus a adaptec 2940au scsi and the pins on the scsi and promise for led during activity work, also I have tried it w/o any of the cards in and switched positions on the hard drives too, so go figure!

Posts: 7 | From: Phx Az | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
nor
Member # 4476

posted November 25, 2001 07:43     Profile for nor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For HDD LEDs, you have to use low current types. Select them from a dozen exemplares. Even nomimal correct types may only show a very dark flashing light. Normally, there cannot be a defect driver transistor because it is protected by a serial resistor.
Posts: 8 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
nor
Member # 4476

posted November 25, 2001 08:10     Profile for nor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One note, still:
Whenever you put as static voltage to the LED, it will always show a bright light. As soon as you don't use static voltage but one with a duty cicle like that coming from the HDD LED driver the current will be interrupted by at least 50% of the time. So, You get only 50% brightness in result. When duty cicle's interrupts are increasing, LED brightness decreases more and more.

Posts: 8 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
coma
Member # 4169

Rate Member

posted November 25, 2001 21:56     Profile for coma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
@nor: hmm.. thanks for your help. that could be the solution. I use bright blue LEDs (coolermaster case). Is that the problem??

Dominik

All times are (GMT +08:00) Taipei  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | ABIT Q-Station