my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  FAE Tech-Forum Online   » Intel Pentium4 Motherboards   » TH7-RAID / TH7-II RAID   » Can't get into BIOS on TH7II non-RAID

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can't get into BIOS on TH7II non-RAID
Spyderman
Member # 4180

Rate Member

posted November 09, 2001 04:28     Profile for Spyderman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm having a problem getting into the bios on the TH7II. The only way that I can get in is by resetting the bios with the jumper. Then when the computer starts the next time it will go in with that default settings. After changing the settings and restarting, the computer works fine. But, if I try to get back into the bios, I just get a thin blue line (the same color as the bios screen) along the bottom of the screen about the size of a windows task bar and a flashing cursor in the upper left corner. The only way to get out of this is to hit the reset button. As I said, the computer works great, the OS (Windows XP) loads and operates flawlessly, but I cannot get back into the bios without resetting it. It does this both from a cold boot and a restart.

I have:
TH7II m/b without RAID
P4 2.0 GHz
2 256 MB 800MHz Samsung RDRAM
Promise FastTrak TX2
2 IBM 60GXP 60GB set to RAID-0
Hercules Game Theater XP
GeForce 3
3Com 3c905B-tx NIC
Plextor 24x and Philips 8x CD-RW on Primary
Toshiba DVD and Sony CD-ROM on Secondary

Any suggestions?

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: Spyderman ]

Steve Neel
Member # 4124

Rate Member

posted November 09, 2001 05:22     Profile for Steve Neel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What kind of keyboard are you using? If it is a USB keyboard, I've found that you have about 1 second to hit the delete key..

On mine I noticed if I wait until the screen displays the rambus speed, but before it displays the hard drives I could get in. Like I said, you only have about a second though!

Hope that helps,

-Steve

Posts: 9 | From: Highland, IN USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spyderman
Member # 4180

Rate Member

posted November 09, 2001 06:55     Profile for Spyderman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No, it's not a USB keyboard. It's PS/2. I don't see what difference that would make when I can get into the bios after I reset it with the jumper.
Steve Neel
Member # 4124

Rate Member

posted November 09, 2001 07:11     Profile for Steve Neel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It seems that the USB keyboard doesn't get 'loaded' as quickly as a ps2.

The reason you have no problems after restting the bios is that an error occurs, essentially forcing you into the bios.

It sounds like the problem is in timing. Even though the screen says "Press Del to enter setup", you have to wait a little bit. There is a very small window of opportunity in which the 'del' will actually work. For me, it was as soon as the RAM was detected, but before the hard drives.

Unfortunately, finding it will be a pain!

-Steve

Posts: 9 | From: Highland, IN USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bill S
Member # 3405

posted November 10, 2001 02:25     Profile for Bill S   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have the TH7II...non-raid. And have never, ever had a problem getting into the bios using the DEL key. I never have had the same issue that you described. I know this may not solve your problem, but at least you know there are other users that dont have the same issue.
Specs:
TH7-II
1.8gig
256k Samsung Ram
40gig HD
etc, etc

ericwp
Member # 3988

Rate Member

posted November 11, 2001 03:12     Profile for ericwp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have the same problem. I am using a ps2 keyboard also. Takes a while to get in 3 or 4 tries but I do. Very annoying when trying different overclock settings.Cleared cmos and reflashed..same problem.
Question: Does anyone have trouble when going to view the pc health status. When ever I enter that menu in the bios, the bios freezes and doesn't list all of the features,or It lists everything, and when I go to change things it freezes, needig a reset to get out of it?
config
win98se (love it)
p4 1900@2052
geforce3ti500
Audigy xgamer
3com nic
2x256megs of samsung ram
1 ibm 30gig harddrives(forgot model #'s gxp75 or something like that)
1 ibm 15 gig hard drive(same)
1 plextor 12/10/32a cd-rw
pioneer 106as dvd
wintv card
enermax 530watt ps.(my baby)

ericwp
Member # 3988

Rate Member

posted November 11, 2001 03:14     Profile for ericwp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry forgot to add TH7-II non raid
Ericp

Xeno
Member # 3765

Rate Member

posted November 12, 2001 09:37     Profile for Xeno   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If your a risk taker, you can flash your bios to the newest version... or reflash same version from a fresh download of it.

X

SJ
Member # 3184

Rate Member

posted November 12, 2001 18:21     Profile for SJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm....this only happens to me when i set the bus speed a tad too high, or when my cpu is too hot.....then it freezīs in, or halfway in the bios screen.
ericwp
Member # 3988

Rate Member

posted November 14, 2001 09:49     Profile for ericwp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Happens when everything is set to default also. Everything runs fine and mobo is very stable, even with the slight probs. with the bios. Just want everything to work properly. I'm dealing with it for now. I'll wait to see if a new bios might fix the prob. Until then I'm researching it.
Jack Hammer
Member # 4490

Rate Member

posted November 22, 2001 01:25     Profile for Jack Hammer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was getting the exact same problem with the TH7-II non raid and after reading about the problems people where having with the bios put it down to that! I was messing about inside the computer one day (as you do)and had disconnected all the fans which I had running of the fan headers on the motherboard all that was left connected was the cpu fan . This solved the problem with the bios and I have never had any problems since.
killekille
Member # 3315

Rate Member

posted November 23, 2001 05:31     Profile for killekille   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi

Just flashed to the new bios version and the problem with the thin blue line in bottom of the screen remains just the same. I only get into bios after hitting the reset button 3-6 times.

TH7-II-Raid, 1700@1700
SCSI/ IDE System
2x256 Infineon
GF2mx
PS/2 Keyboard, USB Mouse

Together with the divider bug Abit has much work to do!

Canīt believe that Abit does not notice such problems in testing their products. Or are we beta-testers??

Waiting for solution....

Luigi

All times are (GMT +08:00) Taipei  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | ABIT Q-Station