my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  FAE Tech-Forum Online   » Intel Pentium4 Motherboards   » TH7-RAID / TH7-II RAID   » Bios Update TH736 is there!!!!!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bios Update TH736 is there!!!!!
Tazz73
Member # 4433

posted November 20, 2001 03:03     Profile for Tazz73   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello All,

After having problems starting up my P4 1.7GHz on a TH7 (2x128MB/4x40GB 7200rpm raid0) Mobo i installed the just released Bios Update!!!

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!

If the system beeps after the Bios Update disable than CPUFAN!!

GOOD LUCK.......

Greetz TAZZ

Rickwell
Member # 2528

Rate Member

posted November 20, 2001 04:26     Profile for Rickwell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You can get it here > http://www.abit-usa.com/eng/download/bios/bios-th7.htm
Posts: 12 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tazz73
Member # 4433

posted November 20, 2001 05:22     Profile for Tazz73   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Still have problems booting the machine when it was offline for a long time.

Need to push on/off button after booting once and waiting till it hangs in XP.
Any suggestions?

P4 1.7/4x40GB/GeForce3 8200/256Rimm

Help!!

Xeno
Member # 3765

Rate Member

posted November 20, 2001 06:59     Profile for Xeno   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I flashed my ZG BIOS to 36, however dont want to go through the memory swap and test?.... Does the TH-7 now support more than 256 mb (like two 256's) or whatever.
Tazz73
Member # 4433

posted November 20, 2001 07:17     Profile for Tazz73   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
XENO I Only have 2x128MB Rimm, so don't know.
Actually i am now testing and I feel it is the Soundblaster or power consumption that gives the probs........
The system hangs with the SB Live 5.1 installed.....

Xeno
Member # 3765

Rate Member

posted November 20, 2001 08:05     Profile for Xeno   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yea I was upset, I bought that thing when it first came out. And when I took the memory back, the guy asked you have TH-7. And well as you know, you cant go above 2x128mb.. I was a long term fan of abit and pushed them on everyone. However sence Abit never replied to any of my 3 emails, and have not released a BIOS sence March (untill recently). so I'am now moving towards ASUS. Though I hope someone that had the memory upgrade beyond 256mb problem could Flash to 36 and see if they actually corrected this problem.

X

ChrisB
Member # 1573

Rate Member

posted November 20, 2001 09:40     Profile for ChrisB   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tazz-

I have a very similar setup to yours and my system has been solid since the first release.

My SB Live! 5.1 works fine and always has with Windows ME and then a fresh install of RTM Windows XP.

Also, the reason your BIOS was beeping for the fan is you do not have a fan connected to the CPU fan port on the motherboard so it returns a zero RPM reading. If this setting is turned on by you or by the BIOS flash and there is not a fan on that port, it will beep. It has no way of knowing if the fan is busted or even present, so it will alert you. Hence the beeping and why it went away when you disabled the monitoring in the BIOS.

Xeno - good question about the >256 RAM. Even if the Voltage Regulators are bad on the 0.1 revision, this could potentially be overcome with software (BIOS). One of the tenents of Computer Science is that there is no technical difference between hardware and software when you come down to it at the bit level.... so I don't see why a BIOS fix couldn't technically solve it.

I am curious to hear if anyone has success. I have heard of some people using > 256MB successfully. I think one of the keys, besides upping some voltage values was to ensure you used IDENTICAL memory in all four ports and not exceed the RDRAM devices displayed on bootup (no more than 64?). I would think the safest bet to get over 256 is to install an identical maker and size(non-kingston!) pair of RIMMS to compliment your first 2X128 set. That is what I am going to try sometime.

Chris.

Posts: 27 | From: Columbia, MD | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tazz73
Member # 4433

posted November 21, 2001 01:28     Profile for Tazz73   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My system has Kingston memory in it? Do you advice to change that?
Xeno
Member # 3765

Rate Member

posted November 21, 2001 03:45     Profile for Xeno   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well last month when I ATTEMPTED to up my memory beyond 256mb. This was after testing memory and what-not. I researched the News Groups and other sources. There was many sugestions, however it seemed that either your TH-7 worked with >256mb or it did not. And I never saw anyone that successfully go from it not work to it working. However this BIOS update "may" work. If someone tests this and is going from a system that could not go beyond 256 and with BIOS upgrade can, let us know! Well they went from BIOS ZG to 36, that is 56 steps. however the FAQ of the bios show 6 addressed problems:

1. Fix under Windows XP STD issue.
2. Fix CPU temperature displays fault issue.
3. Add Shutdown when CPU fan fail; CPU shutdown temperature; ACPI Mode;
MPS version control for OS function in BIOS.
4. Support 137GB HDD or above.
5. Fix under Win98se, can not bootup from Lan card after execute STR mode.
6. HPT 370 RAID BIOS version 1.03b1.

However ABIT never amitted a factual problem of the >256mb problem, and I doubt that they will (even if they fix it in the BIOS)

Things I tested:

128mb N-ECC Samsung x 2 | Works
128mb N-ECC Samsung x 4 | Non-working
256mb ECC Samsung x2 | Non-Working
256mb N-ECC Samsung x2 | Non-Working
128mb ECC Samsung x 2 | Works
128mb N-ECC x 2 & 256mb N-ECC x 2 | Non-Working

I tried these in ALL possible slot combination to include upping the RAMBUS Voltage to 1.75 (Which reads 1.7). These memorys where tested working before and after.

BTW: I bought my board right after it came out.

JMO:
Last BIOS was ZG came out in May now 36 in Nov (over half a year, If 36 does not fix it, I would not count on it ever being fix) Because most companies only fix and tweak BIOS for boards up to a year old. And this board is close to a year old!

X

Tazz73
Member # 4433

posted November 21, 2001 03:52     Profile for Tazz73   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Xeno,

I am doing more testing at the moment and asked the vendor to change the mobo.

What would you advice, skip IDE Raid and goto ASUS or change the 423 Pro and TH7 for a 478 and TH7-II if the vendor goes with this option?

I removed the SB Live 5.1 and gonna test this with a clean install, will post a message with the results

Thanks
Tazz

Xeno
Member # 3765

Rate Member

posted November 21, 2001 04:03     Profile for Xeno   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, Asus seems to release BIOS on a weekly basis (a good thing I think). However does your setup require RAID ? If so then you can always buy an external RAID card (if you have the spare slot) or you can run XP pro or NT 2K which both support RAID 1 & 0 built in (software). (Thats what I run on my NT2K Adv Server). Another thing good about an external RAID card is that if you switch to new MB or whatever you switch to, you can bring the RAID with you without starting over!

X

Spanky
Member # 3195

Rate Member

posted November 21, 2001 11:48     Profile for Spanky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One: Hope new bios fixes ACPI issues.

Two: I agree with Th7 either seeming to work with +256 or not SDRAM. Mine worked with 512 straight away, and have since moved 256 into a P4T.

Spanky

Xeno
Member # 3765

Rate Member

posted November 28, 2001 06:18     Profile for Xeno   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Any word on if the previous none >256 TH-7 board now works with >256 with above posted BIOS?

X

Tazz73
Member # 4433

posted November 28, 2001 09:38     Profile for Tazz73   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, here is my update.

After removing the SB Live the system works perfect. Even disabling onboard sndbl didn;t help. So removed SB Live everything works perfect.
Dont have more than 256MB at the moment......

Greetz

Rickwell
Member # 2528

Rate Member

posted November 28, 2001 15:12     Profile for Rickwell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello everyone I updated my TH7-Raid to the new worthless BIOS.I'm already running 512 megs of Ram that came with the machine in the first 2 slots.Even running the Ram Voltage at 2.8 volts.I couldn't get the machine to boot up when I stuck an additional 2/256=512 megs in the other 2 slots.So I'm still stuck at 512 megs.I can over clock the Processor 1.7 gigs to 1.9 gigs.The FSB at 112.The memory band width at 360.Core Voltage at 2.2 volts.Runs stable in Sandra and 3d mark.But no more ram can be added.This is all I can squeeze out of this Hunk of Junk.
VCore 2.2
VRambus 2.8
VIO 3.5
+5 5.5
+12 12.5
-12 -12.3
-5 -5.1
VBS 5.1

Posts: 12 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are (GMT +08:00) Taipei  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | ABIT Q-Station