my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  FAE Tech-Forum Online   » Intel Pentium4 Motherboards   » TH7-RAID / TH7-II RAID   » New TH7-II Bios just put up on Abit FTP. (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: New TH7-II Bios just put up on Abit FTP.
MrNatural
Member # 1429

Member Rated:

posted November 21, 2001 15:45     Profile for MrNatural   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here you go guys and gals. Enjoy. Haven't tried it myself. Not sure what they did to it but here's what the text file says.

1. Some modification to improve the WHQL status.
2. HPT370 RAID BIOS version 1.11.0402.
3. BIOS compile date: 10/04/2001

ftp://ftp.abit.com.tw/pub/bios/th7-ii/th7h4w.exe

[ November 21, 2001: Message edited by: MrNatural ]

--------------------

Later.

TRSanders
AKA: Mr. Natural
If we go through life walking in the footsteps of others, then we will never leave out own impression

Lars
Member # 3626

Member Rated:

posted November 21, 2001 20:14     Profile for Lars   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't really know what it has fixed. But I dared it (I think I've been really brave this week ) And it does seem to work fine. Still running my 1.5 at 2.0 and it's still stable. I used the "runme.bat" and everything went just fine. I had a little trouble getting it to boot at 2.0 Ghz after clearing the CMOS at first, but it seems to work great now. Just so you know, oh and again a thank you to you "MrNatural" for the info on removing the IHS. As you may, or may not know, I've also recently removed mine and shaved 4°C/7°F off my max. load temp. Darn if only that Swiftech would get here, like NOW

--------------------

Abit TH7-II Raid, P4 [email protected] 512 MB Samsung PC800 @ PC1066
Creative GF3@ 240/530, SB Live
2xIBM gxp60 40G raid0 on HP o/b
2xIBM gxp75 30G raid0 on Fasttrak100
Enermax EG465P-VE 431W PSU

Posts: 31 | From: Copenhagen, Denmark | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
M4Carbine
Member # 1768

Member Rated:

posted November 21, 2001 20:21     Profile for M4Carbine   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Has it fixed the problem with the dividers yet? (no cold boot) So far thats my only problem with this board.

--------------------

Intel P4 1.7@2GHz (someone find me a better cooler in the UK ) :) | TH7II-RAID | 512MB Rambus (boo!) | Geforce 3 TI500 | SB Live! 5.1 Platinum | Pioneer DVD-105s | Plextor 12/10/32 | FLOPPY DRIVE!!!! | 2xIBM 60GXP 40GB | Iiyama VM Pro 410 | DTT2500 speakers

Posts: 79 | From: The Dark Side Of The Moon | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
nor
Member # 4476

posted November 21, 2001 21:06     Profile for nor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, it seems that all elephants I found in the built in Bios are transported to somewhere else
Now, cold start is also possiblewith initialized Raid configurations and scratch HDDs. The nice colored hieroglyphs don't show anymore. Win XP installs without bugs. There is no need to install any driver from Abit. This is what I can constate after setting up a new computer during the last four hours.

Posts: 8 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
M4Carbine
Member # 1768

Member Rated:

posted November 22, 2001 01:36     Profile for M4Carbine   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK im gonna give it a go now and just hope that i can cold boot with a different divider than 2/3.

--------------------

Intel P4 1.7@2GHz (someone find me a better cooler in the UK ) :) | TH7II-RAID | 512MB Rambus (boo!) | Geforce 3 TI500 | SB Live! 5.1 Platinum | Pioneer DVD-105s | Plextor 12/10/32 | FLOPPY DRIVE!!!! | 2xIBM 60GXP 40GB | Iiyama VM Pro 410 | DTT2500 speakers

Posts: 79 | From: The Dark Side Of The Moon | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kool_Aid
Member # 3155

Rate Member

posted November 22, 2001 01:50     Profile for Kool_Aid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Woooo Hoooooo !!!!

Hot damn......works for me

charlesf
Member # 3366

Rate Member

posted November 22, 2001 03:04     Profile for charlesf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It did nothing for me.I'm still haveing to use2/3.Fix or2/4,it want boot hot or cold.Any body [email protected]
Spanky
Member # 3195

Member Rated:

posted November 22, 2001 03:07     Profile for Spanky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Flashed with the new bios. Suspend issues still remain, probably drivers for HD, etc. Suspend light now stays on at all times, where before under Me and W2K only on when system in suspend.

Can boot w/1.7 to 2.0 gig, but AGP Ge3 (Visiontek) card will freeze, needs a little more juice than 1.85.

Anyone able to do a hack on the bios and up the vcore volts? Similar to the Softmenu III vcore options?

HTP included in the bios, i believe is 103b1, per txt file included.

Have not noted anything else yet.

Spanky

clee
Member # 3878

Member Rated:

posted November 22, 2001 04:25     Profile for clee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Spanky, I used to have the Visiontek GF3 and had no problem at all pushing the fsb all the way up to 125 but definitely you'll need way more than 1.85. I guess you tried to set fsb=115-118 to get the 1.7 to 2 Ghz right. Go to BIOS and set vcore voltage to 2.10, it's bugged, won't give you exactly 2.10 but will up the voltage to about 1.95. That should do it, won't freeze your VisionTek anymore. But I'm just wondering home come you can't get the suspend S3 to work. I set the S3 mode and suspend my PC whenever I go to bed at night and it turns everything off and save to rams. I have to do that because I'm using "fixed" divider and can't cold boot. I guess the new bios has not solved the issue yet, guess I'll wait.
Posts: 53 | From: portland or | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
DeBruce
Member # 3479

Rate Member

posted November 22, 2001 05:26     Profile for DeBruce   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So has or has not this latest release fixed the divider problems? Can someone give a definitive yes or no? Guess its not that important coz I'm gonna download it anyway

--------------------

P4 1.5 @ 1.6GHz on TH7-II (107MHz FSB) with GForce2 Ultra (Core 300MHz, DDR 520MHz). 128MB x 2 NEC RAMBUS Waitin' for the BIOS Upgrade ABit...

Kool_Aid
Member # 3155

Rate Member

posted November 22, 2001 05:42     Profile for Kool_Aid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
See my post above.

Fixed divider now works for me

MrNatural
Member # 1429

Member Rated:

posted November 22, 2001 06:23     Profile for MrNatural   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One thing I have also noticed is it seems to be more stable in the memory timings. Before I was barely able to do 2040 with my 1.7ghz. Now I can do 2074 with no problems of the memory craping out on me or the CPU overheating. In fact with the VMOD I made on the board I can put it at 1.95v and run at 2074 full load and barely hit 136F. That's over 15F lower than what the old bios did. So far I'm only doing 2074. Running F@H2 right now for a couple of days with it. So far I see no CPU Throtling so that's another good sign. Anytime I went to even 2006 it would sometime thotle bigtime on me.

Anyway. as for the dividers, I haven't looked into those yet. Also haven't checked on 256meg module problem or 4 128meg modules. Will let you know when I get that pulled together.

All I can say right now is the same as Kool Aid. WOO HOO!

--------------------

Later.

TRSanders
If we go through life walking in the footsteps of others, then we will never leave out own impression

Spanky
Member # 3195

Member Rated:

posted November 22, 2001 10:21     Profile for Spanky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mr. Natural:

How do you do the vmod you spoke of. I think if I could get to 1.90-1.95 I could run my Geforce and board at 2+, but at 1.85 teh G3 (opengl) craps out... not enough juice, though the system will run fine when in XP!

I have a TH7-RAID

Tks

Spanky

[ November 22, 2001: Message edited by: Spanky ]

MrNatural
Member # 1429

Member Rated:

posted November 22, 2001 13:58     Profile for MrNatural   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The vmod only affects the vcore voltage to the cpu and has nothing to do with the IO voltage to the AGP. 2v would be a little high really as 1.95 works just fine for me.

--------------------

Later.

TRSanders

tombman
Member # 3808

Rate Member

posted November 22, 2001 19:47     Profile for tombman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
@th7II(raid) owners:

NEW BIOS DOES NOT FIX THE DIVIDER BUG !!
STILL NO COLD BOOT AT "FIX" AND "2/4" !!

DAMN SHIT, abit really pisses me off.

(worst thing is there is no alternative for this board)

45ACP
Member # 2738

Rate Member

posted November 22, 2001 21:12     Profile for 45ACP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kool Aid, have you tried a cold reboot with the divider set???? Tombman states the divider still dosen't work for him. C'mon guys, lets hear some more peoples observations about this divider problem for guys like me who aren't as knowledgable and would rather only update the BIOS if it fixes something.
Posts: 26 | From: CT | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
M4Carbine
Member # 1768

Member Rated:

posted November 22, 2001 22:56     Profile for M4Carbine   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yup tried it myself last night and it is still broken. But to be honest i dont really want to use 2/4 as i makes the pci/agp speeds to low. Fix would be nice though

So overall if someone just updated my bios without telling me i wouldnt notice any difference from the last one.

--------------------

Kool_Aid
Member # 3155

Rate Member

posted November 22, 2001 22:58     Profile for Kool_Aid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes...it works for me now..........cold boot, warm boot, any boot.

The PC starts up now with the divider fixed @ 66 Mhz.

I ran the bios flash with the "runme" switch, and cleared the bios with the jumper, and it works like it is supposed to, on my machine.

M4Carbine
Member # 1768

Member Rated:

posted November 23, 2001 02:01     Profile for M4Carbine   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyone know any way to check that it is actually fixed at 66mhz?

--------------------

SJ
Member # 3184

Rate Member

posted November 23, 2001 03:55     Profile for SJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Devider is still busted
killekille
Member # 3315

Rate Member

posted November 23, 2001 05:17     Profile for killekille   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Same is here, just flashed and tested.

F*** divider bug. I remember some guy in this forum posted ABIT has told him they gonna fix this problem.

Still waiting...

Luigi

clee
Member # 3878

Member Rated:

posted November 23, 2001 06:21     Profile for clee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kool_Aid, you don't overclock your puter do you? I tried this new bios last night and the cold boot DID work when I set it at default speed. But it DID'NT when I set the fsb to even 101.
I need the "fixed" setting because I'm running fsb=123. The alternative I use is to enable suspend mode in Windows, then change ACPI suspend type to S3 under CMOS setup. So instead of powering down the pc, I just hit the sleep button and it suspends the OS and TURNS EVERYTHING OFF. Seems like somebody in this forum are having problems with the suspend mode ( add-on raid card ? ). But it works for me. Hope this "temporarily" solution may help some of you

Posts: 53 | From: portland or | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rippin-Ron
Member # 3571

Rate Member

posted November 23, 2001 06:50     Profile for Rippin-Ron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The bios update didn't fix the divider problem on my system either, as soon as i set it to fix it won't cold boot.
DeBruce
Member # 3479

Rate Member

posted November 23, 2001 08:47     Profile for DeBruce   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ditto... still broken

--------------------

P4 1.5 @ 1.6GHz on TH7-II (107MHz FSB) with GForce2 Ultra (Core 300MHz, DDR 520MHz). 128MB x 2 NEC RAMBUS Waitin' for the BIOS Upgrade ABit...

charlesf
Member # 3366

Rate Member

posted November 23, 2001 09:24     Profile for charlesf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Why do all the revue sight,miss things like this.One was done somewhere last week.I think they need to look a little closer.Or is it the free part?It would be nice to know some of these things before buying.Does any body agree.
Kool_Aid
Member # 3155

Rate Member

posted November 23, 2001 10:00     Profile for Kool_Aid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a P4 1.7......which we all know is 100fsb X 17

I have my FSB set at: 120 X 17 for a OC to 2040.

I set the divider to: FIX TO 66.

I set the RAM to AUTO and 4X.

The PC boots cold or warm, with no trouble.

Before this bios update, it would not boot at all cold, and only sometimes warm, and most of the time it would corrupt my hard drive.

So far, I have no trouble.

The divider may not be fixed, but my machine boots now...........what else could it be?

Spanky
Member # 3195

Member Rated:

posted November 23, 2001 10:10     Profile for Spanky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mr. Natural,

I have found on this board, like others from ABIT, that I can OC the system and generally need only modest bumps in the vcore to accomplish the OC'ing. However, when I run any opengl games, the video will lock up usually after a short time.

I have discovered that by a small bump in the vcore, I no longer get video freezing. this solution has worked for me on BP6's, Pt4's, CUSL2's, ect, and now on the TH7.

Normally I try and run the vcore at the very lowest to get the board to boot to windows stably. Once that is done and stable, I then run Q3, and have always found an additional small boost of vcore to solve the Geforce/video from freezing up!

Wish I could get to 1.90, because 1.85 is soooooooo very close to stable with the G3 at 2.0+ gig on my 1.7, but just not quite enough. Downclocking the G3 does not solve the problem.

I have noticed that with this new bios, I can now run stable at 2.0+ gigs, as long as I don't run opengl. Before this new bios, max was 115 FSB.

Regards,

Spanky

MrNatural
Member # 1429

Member Rated:

posted November 23, 2001 12:30     Profile for MrNatural   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Spanky. Here's links to 2 pics that will show you where you need to do the mod at. Use a 50kohm pot. Attach it to pin 7 of the chip in the pics. Then to adjust your core voltage boot into your bios and set your voltage at 1.85 and then reboot. When it restarts go back to your bios again and start to turn the pot up until your voltage is running between 1.96 and 2.0. Then set your bus at the desired speed and reboot.

TH7-Raid VMOD Pic 1

TH7-Raid VMOD Pic 2

--------------------

Later.

TRSanders

tombman
Member # 3808

Rate Member

posted November 23, 2001 18:13     Profile for tombman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
kool_aid, you have the th7ii raid or non raid ?
If yes, do you use the raid part ?
If yes, pls post ALL your bios settings here What manufacturer are your rams made of ?
Just post ALL the hardware you have in your System

Kool_Aid
Member # 3155

Rate Member

posted November 23, 2001 23:50     Profile for Kool_Aid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a raid board, but I don't use the raid function (don't see the need) I use it as four IDE ports, with all my drives a Masters.
45ACP
Member # 2738

Rate Member

posted November 25, 2001 00:50     Profile for 45ACP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, so one person out of everyone here has found that the new BIOS has the divider fixed. Doesn't seem possible. Either everyone is doing something wrong either when flashing to the new BIOS or were doing something wrong in the BIOS settings all along. Either way, the divider is still broken and no one can definitively figure out the problem. I guess I will just stay with the initial BIOS and not overclock for now
Posts: 26 | From: CT | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spanky
Member # 3195

Member Rated:

posted November 25, 2001 02:06     Profile for Spanky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mr. Nat.

As I read your photo, there is one lead to pin 7 to the pot, and then (harder to see) a black lead to ground off of the pot?

Also looks like you made the pot attached to the read of the case so you could adjust from the outside of the case?

Also, when you are adjusting the pot, are you reading the voltage adjustment from the bios, or a VOM?

Tks for the insight and info on the mod... and the pics.

Spanky

MrNatural
Member # 1429

Member Rated:

posted November 26, 2001 19:07     Profile for MrNatural   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Depending on the type POT you use would depend on whether you need to run the grond lead or not. If you use a POT that can be mounted through a hole in the rear of the case (like one in pic) then you won't need to run the ground wire because the POT will be to ground already. If on the other hand you use a POT that can not be mounted through the rear of the case then you will need to run a ground wire to the case.

As for adjusting the voltage. After you have set your VCORE to 1.85 then reboot and go back into the bios. Go to System Health and observe your VCORE voltage there while you slowly turn the POT up to the level voltage you want.

--------------------

Later.

TRSanders

Spanky
Member # 3195

Member Rated:

posted December 07, 2001 10:51     Profile for Spanky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mr. N:

Thanks for the info. I believe I will try the mod out over Christmas vacation. I'll let you know how it goes!

S

Rickwell
Member # 2528

Rate Member

posted December 07, 2001 14:58     Profile for Rickwell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have been using that Voltage mod for 4 months now.It works great.Actually there are 2 mods on the chip I use.I can crank my TH7-Raid up to 2.4 Core volts.I run mine to 2.2 volts.Here is the link that may help.> http://www.athlonoc.com/voltagemod3.php I did a mod to the Power supply and turned up the VIO 3.3 to 3.5 and the +12 to 12.5 I also upped the Ram voltage from 2.46 to 2.8 on the 6521 chip on pin 2 with a 2.5k ohm variable resistor.They all work great.Running Win 98se.My 1.7 will clock stable to 1.9 Gig.I did have it as high as 2.1Gig.But WinXP and Win2k didn't like that.And no more of that random reboot stuff.
Posts: 18 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
MrNatural
Member # 1429

Member Rated:

posted December 07, 2001 23:04     Profile for MrNatural   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just using the method I show there I can take my TH7-Raid up to 2.4vcore also. I only use 1.95 tho and can get my 1.7ghz upto 2.07ghz with no problem. The RDRAM is what falls down most of the time from there tho. So if I can up the 2.5 line to the RDRAM that would be great.

--------------------

Later.

TRSanders

Rickwell
Member # 2528

Rate Member

posted December 08, 2001 00:46     Profile for Rickwell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I should refrase that I only used the 2.2 core volts as the highest I thought I better go when I overclock.Anything higher just scares the sh*t out of me.The TH7-Raid has a random reboot problem.But the new BIOS did help in that area a little.But I do run it around 1.85cv-1.95cv.WinXP/Win2k seems to be a little more unstable than Win98se.Even though I upped the Ram voltage to 2.8v.It did not allow me to put more than 2x256=512 megs of Ram in.I could not go to 1 Gig of Ram.But I guess I can't have everything.I just turned up the voltage to see if I could do it.Turning the up the VIO voltage from 3.3 to 3.5. does let me overclock my GeForce3 memory clock speed to 575.It's why they call them"Do It Your Selfer Boards".Intel should unlock their chips and Abit should remove any safty crap.Then let me overclock by myself.Gee I wish I had a TH7-II Raid.
Spanky
Member # 3195

Member Rated:

posted December 09, 2001 07:05     Profile for Spanky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Rickwell:

How did you do the VIO volt to bump to 3.5 through your power supply?

I have always run teh vcor at the lowest that windows would remain stable at at the FSB I want to use. Now, when running Geforce cards (BP6's/CUSL2's)it has always required me to bump up the vcore even more so windows runs stable, and be able to run opengl games. I know it probably shouldn't be that way, but that's the way it's been... usually requiring on the BP6 a .1 to .2 volt increase, and on the TH7 about a .25 increase to keep the opengl stable.Tks

S

Spanky
Member # 3195

Member Rated:

posted December 09, 2001 07:10     Profile for Spanky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mr. Natural:

BTW, thank you for putting up those two pics a little time ago. got them and will use when I do the mod over Christmas vacation!

S

Rickwell
Member # 2528

Rate Member

posted December 09, 2001 11:53     Profile for Rickwell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Spanky I opened the power Supply and there where 2 Variable resistors inside.one for the +12v and one for the 3.3v .Actually I think the one for the 3.3 is actually the 5volt rail.But as I upped to 5.5v the 3.3 went to 3.5v .Some of the older Enermax PSUs don't use variable Resistors.But I remember reading that there is a Big Fixed Resistor Called R8.You need to lift one of the legs and then use a Variable resistor in that circuit.Sorry I couldn't supply the link to that artical.But if you have 2 variable resistors then your in luck.I had the PSU open and booted up into BIOS and read the supply voltages from there.Then adjusted it till I got hte Voltage I wanted.They do have a spot liquid staking material or (glue)type stuff on the Variable Resistors so they don't move.Just be carefull when you remove it and crank out the Power.Good Luck.

All times are (GMT +08:00) Taipei
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | ABIT Q-Station