my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  FAE Tech-Forum Online   » Intel Pentium4 Motherboards   » TH7-RAID / TH7-II RAID   » Driver URL's - Please Post

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Driver URL's - Please Post
GeekMaster
Member # 3228

Rate Member

posted November 24, 2001 02:34     Profile for GeekMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Does anybody know where the Intel Application Accelerator BETA 2.0 file is on the web??

Here is a great link to the Current Intel Drivers for P4 machines. http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/gendrive.htm
More specifically, I used this URL ... http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/md/md_drive.htm

Does anybody know where the matching Admin Utility is for HPT v2.0.1019 Drivers. The Admin Util at Highpoint does not match this version of driver. The posted Admin utility at Highpoint is v2.0.0919.

Please Everyone - Lets POST the location of files/Drivers we all need, as well as install techniques which are needed. If you have discovered a certain sequence or order of installation which works better than onother Please Post your findings. Such as driver install file order, this one 1st and that one second.

If you know of a URL for Video drivers or Sound Card drivers which would help other people PLEASE POST them here.

Thanks Everyone,
The GeekMaster

Posts: 60 | From: Washington State , USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ferdinando
Member # 4474

Rate Member

posted November 24, 2001 02:55     Profile for Ferdinando   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
GeekMaster,

here it is: http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/IAA/beta.htm

Let me know how it goes and if it really does what they say in terms of performance.

Posts: 20 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
GeekMaster
Member # 3228

Rate Member

posted November 24, 2001 03:22     Profile for GeekMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Kool Guy,

I did NOT install the Intel Driver off the ABit CD for WinXP, But did Install the ...
1) Intel Application Accelerator v1.1.2053
2) Intel ATA100 Driver v6.20.2018
3) Intel INF Driver v3.20.1008
4) HPT Raid Driver v2.0.1019

Everything Seems to work with these drivers.

I have not Benchmarked with these drivers yet. What Benchmarking Application should I use and where do I get it?

I have an ATI Radeon 64 DDR VIVO AGP 4x card; NOT an "NVidia GForce3" like alot of other people have. Does anyone have Benchmarking Stats for the Radeon series cards. I am cureous what my Radeon does to compare to the GForce 2 and 3 series cards.
The Latest ATI Drivers are Here ... http://support.ati.com/products/pc/index.html

Note: I also use a socket 478 - P4 2.0gig CPU (Running at 2.0gig ; NO Overclocking at this time)and 512Mbytes Samsung ECC Rambus Ram.

My hard drives are IBM GXP60 series 20gig, 40gig, and 60gig drives.
IBM HD Utilities are Here ... http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/download.htm
The IBM Feature Tool (version 1.31) is useful for enabling advanced features of your IBM hard drive.

My DVD Decoder card is a Hollywood + from Sigma Designs.
The latest Win2K/XP drivers are Here ... http://www.sigmadesigns.com/support/download_hollywood_plus_win2000.htm

Does anyone run a SB 5.1 Platinum and have the Remote control working, I have the lastest Patch file to improve functionality too. I think this file has been removed from the Creative Web Site.
If anyone wants the Remote Center upgrade file, I can post it to my personal FTP Site.??

The latest SB 5.1 Drivers are HERE ... http://www.soundblaster.com/support/winxp/
These are Drivers only, no PlayCenter or Soundfonts or Themes.

The GeekMaster

Ferdinando
Member # 4474

Rate Member

posted November 24, 2001 08:08     Profile for Ferdinando   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
GeekMaster and others,

I installed and tested successfully the Intel Application Accelerator BETA 2.0.
I notice a good improvement. I didn't have time to perform benchmarks, I suggest SySoft Sandra, you can find it at this address: http://www.sisoftware.demon.co.uk/sandra/

I noticed a mistake that you and others do - the Intel Busmaster drivers will OVERRIDE the Application Accelerator. They are, in fact, the same driver, just a different revision/codebase.

You can have only 1 at a time.

GeekMaster
Member # 3228

Rate Member

posted November 24, 2001 20:41     Profile for GeekMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the information Ferdinando. I am glad you explained the Application Accelerator and ATA100 driver situation to me. Guess I was overwriting the ATA100 w/ IAA or vice versa.

?? Where do I download the Intel Application Accelerator 2.0 Beta ??

The GeekMaster

Kool_Aid
Member # 3155

Rate Member

posted November 24, 2001 23:43     Profile for Kool_Aid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's linked in the post a few up from this.............

Here it is again.........Intel Application Accelerator BETA 2.0

Spanky
Member # 3195

Rate Member

posted November 25, 2001 02:29     Profile for Spanky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Alright, so has anyone installed the Intel App Accel beta and benchmarked any changes?

Anyone used on XP PRO and noticed good stability and increased benchmarks?

Tks

Spanky

Ferdinando
Member # 4474

Rate Member

posted November 25, 2001 03:51     Profile for Ferdinando   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, I did.

They definitely improve the performances of the drivers connected to the Intel controller.
I can't use the HPT370 (because of incompatibility issues with the IBM DeskStar 60GXP), so for me the performance improvement is great.

Spanky
Member # 3195

Rate Member

posted November 25, 2001 06:25     Profile for Spanky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fer,

Tks. I have IBM 40's in a RAID 0 setup and work very well on TH7-RAID.

When Ive tried the INtel App is has slowed my system down quite a bit.

S

45ACP
Member # 2738

Rate Member

posted November 25, 2001 23:20     Profile for 45ACP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
GeekMaster, I also have the IBM 60GXP HDD and was interested in the link for the IBM Feature Tool, so I checked it out. My drives had the acoustic and power settings disabled, so I enabled them to be run at full performance parameters. A benchtest using Sandra and HD Tach bothe show a performance increase, not a huge increase but higher scores none the less. There is one question I have though. It seems after a few minutes harddrive inactivity, even if I'm using an application or playing a game, the harddrive seems to go into a sort of sleep mode. Then when it comes time for it to access, I hear a clicking sound like the drive is starting up and it takes a second or 2 for it to access whatever it's looking for. Is this normal operation for the performance settings?
Posts: 25 | From: CT | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
GeekMaster
Member # 3228

Rate Member

posted November 25, 2001 23:46     Profile for GeekMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Drive should not make a clicking sound.

The spin down is normal and it should take a second for the drive to spin up , BUT ... the clicking is abnormal.

Maybe do a drive quality test, the non-destructive test.

The GeekMaster

GeekMaster
Member # 3228

Rate Member

posted November 26, 2001 00:07     Profile for GeekMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I did a Fresh Win2k install and got the Sound Blaster 5.1 platinum working including Sleep Mode in Win2k.
This procedure works in WinXP as well.

(The Bios I use is TH7II-Raid version 1, this will not work in the second Bios release.
The second Bios release has a problem with StandBy Mode. I was forced to revert my system back to the original Bios release because of the Bug which was introduced in the second Bios release.)

Procedure:
1) Install winXP/2k Drivers only. File from the Web Site ... http://www.soundblaster.com/support/winxp/
(Then Reboot)
2) Install the CD-Rom Drivers which came with your card (Do a Custom Setup),(Do Not Reboot)
Note:If This is WinXP install do not select StartCenter, it will not work in XP.
3) ReInstall the SB 5.1 WinXP/2k drivers (do not Reboot)
4) Install the Remote center Update drivers (if you have them - If not I can POST them to my FTP site if you need them) ( The updated Remote files are no longer at Creative)(Reboot)
5) Regedit HKLM-Software-Microsoft-Windows-CurrentVersion-Run=
Find Remote Center and CD Detector and delete them. (You may want to back-up this registry key before you delete the remote and disk detector lines.) (Reboot)

In Conclusion.
It is neccessary to follow these steps exactly or else Standby mode will not work.
The reason to delete the Remote Center from Run key is because the Remote program will prevent the system from going into Standby. If you force Standby it will go into and come out of Standby correctly but Remote will not work until you reboot, Even if you stop and restart Remote center.

As for the disk detector program in the Run key, I think it is a useless waist of system resources. (Personal opinion) This key deletion is not neccessary, just Remote key is neccessary.

The GeekMaster

Spanky
Member # 3195

Rate Member

posted November 26, 2001 01:08     Profile for Spanky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Geek:

Interesting fix. I found I could use the W2K drivers and go form the initial XP driver SB stereo to 4:1/5:1 sound, using only the drivers. Installing any of the LIve ware (W2K) or otherwise screwed the system up.

Currently I can not go into suspend (freezes). On just a pure XP install will suspend just fine. Once SB drivers are loaded nope, HD drivers (ABIT RAID) nope, and found older RAId driver most reliable (103b).

At this time have 5:1 sound, HD's working great at 40-41K (RAID 0), just no suspend/hibernate.

Also, ZoneAlarm and NAV also stopped XP from initially suspending, though I now have their most recent versions, due to other non-compliant drivers, won't be able to find out about suspend until I resolve RAId and SB driver issues.

S

45ACP
Member # 2738

Rate Member

posted November 26, 2001 01:29     Profile for 45ACP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No I think it's just the sound of the drive spin up. I just wanted to know if that sound was normal. Like I said it benches higher than it did before. I just wanted to make sure the drive going into this "sleep" mode was normal. Thanks.
Posts: 25 | From: CT | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ferdinando
Member # 4474

Rate Member

posted November 26, 2001 03:55     Profile for Ferdinando   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Regarding the issue with IBM DeskStar 60GXP - it depends on the hard disk bios revision.

The 4 drives that I tried failed in RAID 0.

I am planning to switch to Western Digital.

Xeno
Member # 3765

Rate Member

posted November 28, 2001 06:15     Profile for Xeno   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well if it's a SINGLE clank sound during runup and prior to spindown, then that maybe normal. It's the head auto parking (a acuator lifting them away from the drive surface!)

Otherwise when the platters slow down to xxxx amount of speed then the air surface pressure allows them to strike the platters (not good)

X

All times are (GMT +08:00) Taipei  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | ABIT Q-Station