my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  FAE Tech-Forum Online   » Intel Pentium4 Motherboards   » TH7-RAID / TH7-II RAID   » OC on the TH7 II raid

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OC on the TH7 II raid
Oojah
Member # 4532

Rate Member

posted November 24, 2001 07:36     Profile for Oojah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Can anyone please help, I am unable to clock my P4 1.6ghz at all, everytime I try the machine reboots and locks me out. Is there something I am missing, like do I need to change any of the switch settings on the mobo? I would like to get 2.0gig (16x125) is this possible, if not what do you think I can get. Does anyone have an idiots guide to O/C this board, and if so where is it, or can someone take the time to write one please.
clee
Member # 3878

Member Rated:

posted November 28, 2001 22:52     Profile for clee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hey Oojah,want fsb=125? You are getting greedy aren't you??
Just try changing the fsb to 110 and leave evrything else at defaults ( e.g. vcore, rambus frequency) and start from there

Posts: 46 | From: portland or | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lars
Member # 3626

Member Rated:

posted November 28, 2001 23:37     Profile for Lars   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If there is one thing this board is NOT, it's a newbie o/c board. The fact that I've been able to get my 1.5 stable at 2.0, I largely contribute to the many hours I've spent tweaking systems for many years. Take a look at www.tomshardware.com and look for a overclocking guide. Or do a search on google. There are SO many possible reasons for not being able to get a system stable at a specific speed. The fact that many of the features in the TH7-II's bios don't even work will NOT make it any easier, especially if you new to overclocking. If you're not prepared to clear the CMOS, and able to immidiately setup everything you've changed in the bios (i.e. you know exactly how everything goes/works) then tread carefully. Besides the 125 Mhz fsb is a dangerous area, since for some reason the 2/4 divider doesn't work, the pci speed will be at almost 42 Mhz. I've trashed my entire raid0 windows + apps disk (12 GB data) learning that lesson. If you're still hooked on overclocking the TH7-II then welcome to the club

--------------------

Abit TH7-II Raid, P4 [email protected] 512 MB Samsung PC800 @ PC1066
Creative GF3@ 240/530, SB Live
2xIBM gxp60 40G raid0 on HP o/b
2xIBM gxp75 30G raid0 on Fasttrak100
Enermax EG465P-VE 431W PSU

Posts: 31 | From: Copenhagen, Denmark | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
clee
Member # 3878

Member Rated:

posted November 29, 2001 01:00     Profile for clee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeap! OC is dangerous, just like right now I'm sneaking into this forum while @ work wll actually I'm on my 15 min coffee break in the Op. rom
I've burnt out my fair share peripherals over the yrs dued to OC but if you've done it right, it's VERY satisfying.
FINALLY....there's a review site out there who caught the problems of TH7-II, go take a look. Oojah, pay attention to the events happend to the reviewer when he tried to OC the TH7-II, it happened EXACTLY to me.And despite all the problems associated with this mobo, I still think it's the BEST mobo for overclockers, at least I'm running with vcore set to max of 2.2
ck this out: http://www.iamnotageek.com/cgi-bin/reviews.cgi?name=th7ii-raid&p=5

Posts: 46 | From: portland or | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spanky
Member # 3195

Member Rated:

posted December 02, 2001 02:26     Profile for Spanky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oojah: If your first attempt to OC does not work, sit back and relax, and follow these simple proceedures.

1. Always start off with a very modest (small) OC-FSB bump up first. It that fails then, make sure you yave error checking turned off and

2. Make a small jump in your vcore, say by .25 volts. Try again.

If still a no go, jump the vcore a tad more.

Most processors can do a small OC right out of the box, with no vcore adjustment.

It is important to remember that if you OC, each increment of FSB/vcore adjustment up, gradually increases your CPU temp, so make sure your HS/FAN is installed well, and with good seating with a thermal paste, like Artic Silver.

I have a P 1.7 with stock HS/Fan, I can boot and run just fine at 120-122 FSB, however, my system can not give me enough juice (over 1.85 vcore) to keep my opengl video card from freezing during games (even down clocking the G3 will not help...it just needs a bit more juice to run the card, same happened on my BP6's)

Lars: This forum is for and about the TH7 series board, a board specifically meant for OC'ing. For newbies, or folks with a bit more experience, any forum such as this, by the spirit of its existence, is open for newbie, and more seasoned questions as well. Tranquillo guy.

Regards to you all,

Spanky

Oojah
Member # 4532

Rate Member

posted December 03, 2001 09:16     Profile for Oojah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
First of all thanks for the various replies, but I would like to know what gave anybody the idea that I was a Newbie!, I have 3 Abit boards at home as follows

BE62 v2 running PIII 1ghz @ 1.ghz
KG7 Raid running Athlon 1.4ghz @ 1.9ghz
TH7 2 v2 running P4 1.6 @ 1.6 ghz

Oh and a BX133 raid not doing anything!

I meant to imply that the TH7 does not seem to want to clock very well, and as it is new to me there may have been some "trick" that I was missing, I've actaully been in the trade for 20 years, I am sorry if I gave anyone the wrong impression, perhaps I should be more careful how I phrase things in future! Any way thanks again to those of you who replied. BTW I discovered that removing the heat spreader plate from the top of the P4 and using a thin copper plate under the H/S gave me a reduction of 14 degrees C, the chip now runs at a constant 32c, this is with a stock Intel HSF I think that is quite good considering the Athlon runs at 67c without load!

All times are (GMT +08:00) Taipei  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | ABIT Q-Station