my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  FAE Tech-Forum Online   » Intel Pentium4 Motherboards   » TH7-RAID / TH7-II RAID   » promise raid card

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: promise raid card
Rippin-Ron
Member # 3571

Rate Member

posted November 25, 2001 08:04     Profile for Rippin-Ron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just bought a promise raid card. I thought you could use atapi devices on it, but i guess you can't cuz i cant get my dvd to work. I am using an ibm 40gb hdd on the first channel and i put my dvd on the second. On the onboard ide controller i put my burner as master on ide1 and my zip as master on ide2. The highpoint raid controller can do this?? but not the promise one can't ?? whats up with that?
GeekMaster
Member # 3228

Rate Member

posted November 25, 2001 09:19     Profile for GeekMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have the Promise ATA100 card and I use it for HD's and DVD and CD-RW. Make sure you have the latest drivers and it should work.

I also have the FastrackTX2 and have 2-60gig IBM drives on it Raid-0(only for testing though). I do not keep the Promise cards in the system, since there is a known issue with Promise cards and the TH7 and TH7ii boards.
The known issue is that while in a TH7/7ii board the MB cannot go into and resume from StandBy mode.

Keep in mind that the HPT port and "ALL" Promise products have a conflict in addressing. The system will not be able to go into StandBy or Hibernate and come out in a working condition. If this is O.K. with you then use the card. The Promise cards are much superior im my mind than the HPT controller.

The USA technician - Chan, is reporting this problem of Promise cards and HPT controller conflicts. Chan has contacted Promise and they have admitted that there is a conflict and a problem.

The cards are not broken, they just do not functin absolutely correctly with the TH7 or TH7II boards. I think the Bios code has an effect on the problem as well.
The new Flash Bios for the MB has made my Promise cards have the same; but different; problem and issue. I could now go into sleep mode and come out of sleep mode, BUT ... the system was only stable for about 1minute after resuming from standby. You could click and nothing happened in real time. If you clicked an icon it would take 30seconds to respond.
This problem with the 2nd bios is simular to my problem with the 1st Flash Bios, accept for the 1st Bios would not give me that 1minute of working condition before it would crap out.

The main issue is coming out of sleep mode ... that is if you get into sleep mode at all. I have actually gone backwards to the original Flash Bios to gain sleep mode (StandBy Mode) back into my system. I just could not make StandBy mode work reliably at all. I formatted the HD at least 20 times, used Drive image, and made several images. When I had a good working Image, I would then add more software and screw up the system, so I would then revert back to the Image and when the system booted again, it would not StandBy. The Bios really does not seem stable for standby mode. This mode is very important to me so I reverted backwards.

I am confused why the 2nd Bios was so tempormental. it may be related to the new feature in Bios the setting which says :
MPS = Enable/Disable
Setting =1.1 or 1.4

I think MPS is Multi Processor System protocal version 1.1 or 1.4.
I am not sure why that code would be in the bios.

Sorry, I got off the subject ...
To answer your question directly ...
YES, the Promise cards can controll any Atapi devices, I have a Zip drive on one, as well as CD-RW and DVD. By default they turn on DMA mode so don't worry about activating that.

The GeekMaster

[/B]

Posts: 48 | From: Washington State , USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rippin-Ron
Member # 3571

Rate Member

posted November 25, 2001 09:58     Profile for Rippin-Ron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmm thats weird, I d/l'ed the newest drivers from Promise and installed them, the harddrive reads and boots fine but no dvd shows up?? I gave up and put the dvd as master on my onboard sec. ide channel and my zip as slave and it works fine so it isn't the dvd. But after further reading of the tx2 manual it says that the card does not support atapi devices. BTW have a ibm 60gxp 40gb hdd, pioneer 16x dvd, on a th7-II. The standby/sleep issue doesn't affect me cuz i dont use it.
GeekMaster
Member # 3228

Rate Member

posted November 25, 2001 20:44     Profile for GeekMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you have the FastrackTX2 this may be true that the Raid card does not support CD-Roms, BUT I know for a fact that the non-raid card ATA100 does support CD-Roms and Zip Drives etc.

The GeekMaster

Posts: 48 | From: Washington State , USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are (GMT +08:00) Taipei  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | ABIT Q-Station