my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  FAE Tech-Forum Online   » Intel Pentium4 Motherboards   » TH7-RAID / TH7-II RAID   » ABIT technical support

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ABIT technical support
Ferdinando
Member # 4474

Rate Member

posted November 26, 2001 04:15     Profile for Ferdinando   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Guys,

I am exchanging emails since a few days ago with the Abit technical support, and I am very, very unhappy. They don't seem to consider me seriously. They try to insinuate that I am doing something wrong when installing WinXP (no way).

As many of you know already, I can't manage to use my IBM DeskStar 60GXP hard disks on the HPT370 controller (not even with RAID disabled!!).

I followed all the possible advices, updated all the drivers, removed all the cards and other drives, NOTHING. The HPT370 corrupts the partition continuously, it's absolutely unreliable.

Note that the drives and the system passed all the hardware tests possible, they are not faulty. They are incompatible.

Before you begin to tell me "try this, try that", I tried everything already, so please spare me. I am a professional in this field, I know what I am doing. And, if you have been successful in installing XP on these HDDs, maybe they have a different BIOS revision, or maybe you have a slower Pentium4 processor or memory (I have a P4 1.8 GHz with 512 Mb PC800 RDRAM).

What I want to underline here is that, from many, many posts, I can see that the HPT370 RAID controller has been completely screwed up in this motherboard.
I have also an Abit ST6-RAID with a P3 1Ghz, and there you get always a perfect result at full speed regardless of the HDDs brand and/or drivers and/or BIOS version used.

There are more "victims" popping up continuously - there is a guy on another thread telling me that the Seagate Barracuda has the very same symptoms that I am experiencing with the DeskStar. So it's the motherboard, not the hard disks, and this is final.

Posts: 20 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spanky
Member # 3195

Rate Member

posted November 26, 2001 05:53     Profile for Spanky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yup, I agree with you that the bios/compatability with this board Th7 series, is lacking.

I have been fortunate for have two IBM Deskstar 30's Raid'ed 0 and they have worked fine, albiet the ABIT drivers are not ACPI compatible (103b).

ABIT did a better job with the BP6 bios's as far as updating frequency. The HTP controller issue on this board, esp with XP, is lacking and inconsistent.

There is also a (major) but in XP where it re-letters/re-assigns drives on the fly, causing corrupt boot sectors, etc. The doc is on the MS site.

Regards,

S

GeekMaster
Member # 3228

Rate Member

posted November 26, 2001 06:04     Profile for GeekMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
GeekMaster here.

I am installing WinXP again.
I start setup and choose create partition, then Format NTFS, this part is fine.

Then setup copies files to the hard drive, then reboots. After reboot I get a Blue screen ... which says boot disk error and remove any new hardware or software and try again, if this problem persists contact harware manufacturer.
I reboot again, it says the same thing on the Blue screen.
(B.T.W. , I am installing on an IBM Deskstar 60GXP 20gig ATA 100 7200RPM hard drive)

I go into Bios and disable Port 1 Master UDMA, so only PIO modes are available. I reboot and setup continues without a flaw. I then turn on UDMA in Bios after WinXP Setup finishes, all is well.

In Conclusion,
I am forced to disable UDMA on the Intel IDE Port 1 during WinXP setup.

I hereby warn and advise anyone installing WinXP to turn off UDMA for their C-Drive during WinXP setup. The "Damn" motherboard is bugged, this happens on any IDE port on the TH7II-Raid motherboard.

I am very frustrated with this board, it cannot even do simple tasks such as install an operating system without errors. I am not asking the board to do wild things, just standard things which it should be able to do. I am not even overclocking, I am running exactly as I should be running.

The system has ACPI StandBy mode problems with both Bios revs, to me they have fixed nothing. They state that the new bios fixes some WHQL status functionality. For me, I cannot see why this board passed WHQL status. they must have submitted a tweeked motherboard to get the certification.
I am calling my hardware vendor on Monday and demanding my money back or a swap for the asus P4T-E motherboard. i will have Chan in the USA Tech support office write a letter for my motherboard vendor to inform them of the problems with the board if I need to go to this extent.

I am getting absolutely Pissed Off at this board. I have installed Win2K and WinXP so many times; to get a working ACPI system, that I am getting dizzy.

I will never ever buy another Abit board in my life. I am the System Administrator of the IT Department at work, and have over 8000 PC's in our network of offices. I build PC's for a living and I know my Shi*.

I have built over 40 PC's last year alone, and I have never had a problem like this.

Thanks for nothing Abit,
Sincerely
The GeekMaster

Posts: 56 | From: Washington State , USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ferdinando
Member # 4474

Rate Member

posted November 26, 2001 07:42     Profile for Ferdinando   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
GeekMaster,

I advice against using the HPT370 at all, at the very first symptoms of incompatibility with your hard disks.

Switching to PIO4 to complete the installation worked for me, but the system corrupted itself after switching back to UDMA5.

If you can't install in UDMA5, move the hard disks to the Intel standard controller (IDE ports 1 and 2), and move the CD-RW / DVD / CD ROMs to the HPT370 (IDE ports 3 and 4).

It sounds nasty, but it's currently the only way out for me. To boot the XP installation from the DVD drive, I put it first on the Intel controller, then, after the installation, I moved it back to the HPT370.

Dumkopf
Member # 3102

Rate Member

posted November 26, 2001 07:53     Profile for Dumkopf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You say you have 512Meg RDRAM? Is this on a TH7-RAID board? Does this mean they fixed the votage problem?
Ferdinando
Member # 4474

Rate Member

posted November 26, 2001 08:00     Profile for Ferdinando   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry to disappoint you - it's a TH7-II RAID (478 pins).
GeekMaster
Member # 3228

Rate Member

posted November 26, 2001 08:51     Profile for GeekMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ferdinando,
I do have the IBM drive on the Intel port IDE1 as Master with my AOpen 56x CD-Rom reader as slave. My TDK 24x10x40 CD-RW is on IDE2 as Master and my Pioneer 104 10x DVD is on IDE2 as Slave.

I have 2-60g IBM drives on the HPT IDE3 as Raid-0 and 2-40g IBM Drives on HPT IDE4 as Raid-0. I do not have a problem with the IBM drives on the HPT controller, it is only on the Intel ports that I have a problem.

The GeekMaster

Diane
Member # 3870

Rate Member

posted November 26, 2001 12:43     Profile for Diane   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dumkopf : Among the other things not corrected on the TH7II was the CPU core voltage either being incorrect or reporting incorrectly. And the primary master only working with Intel Accelerator beta version 2.0 and at best running at ata4 not 5!Nor does the hard drive activity light seem any brighter now matter what LED I attach even a couple different new ones. I am starting to have a strong suspicion that Abit also builds RC cars and trucks for radio shack, something for the masses far from the leader in the field and something that a weak tolerance in engineering, quality control and manufacturing w/o any evident problems are immediately apparent to the normal eye so they can slide by. They forget this is a field of precise specifications and tolerances.
Like I said Abit is living off a reputation earned years ago and has been letting it slip away steadily over time. My P4T-E is on order now I have no patience for a product charging a premium price and giving mediocre or marginal performance at best. At first I was disappointed I couldn’t find the raid version of this board but from reading in this forum I have my share of troubles but nowhere near the troubles you raid owners are facing!
I wouldn’t even cut down Gigabyte, Epox, DFI or the other average manufactures by comparing this board with them. I see it as Asus on top " they already support the new Rambus standards with MSI coming on strong being the ere apparent to Abit. Those of us in the computer field especially hardware techs well know that we are not unfairly beating up on Abit. Abit is earning this backlash of denigration and they are earning every bit of this ridicule and scorn. We have to remember we vote with our dollars and if we continue to purchase this crap they will continue to produce it and blow us off.
They have used every scapegoat possible Op systems, Intel the order of cards put in the system etc. After getting burned with my BX6 I swore never again. This time I will follow my self-imposed rules. No more Abit! ABIT = Another Broken Integrated Technology! Diane Price

Posts: 10 | From: Phx Az | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ferdinando
Member # 4474

Rate Member

posted November 26, 2001 13:44     Profile for Ferdinando   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
GeekMaster,

yep now I understand your config - so we are experiencing very different issues.
On my motherboard, the Intel IDE controller is OK, it accepts anything in UDMA5 without any fuss. On the other side, the HPT370 literally hates my IBM HDDs.

As a test, you could leave the HPT370 EMPTY, and see if this changes the situation.

Diane, I fully understand you. But I have to say that I am an Abit fan since many years ago, and this is the very first time that I am having problems with them.

I keep hoping that a "magical" BIOS update will fix everything. Probably I am dreaming.

GeekMaster
Member # 3228

Rate Member

posted November 26, 2001 22:02     Profile for GeekMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ferdinando,
I have tried taking everything out accept fot the 1 and only C-Drive, and AGP card. Same results. I just cannot get WinXP installed with UDMA enabled. at least installed useing IDE1 as my C-Drive.

Now you on the other hand, have problems with the HPT controller as the c-drive and installing WinXP.

My conclusion is that the Bios is just screwed up and cannot work with IBM or seagate drives.

This would appear to be a bios issue since we are having simular problems on quite different ports.

The GeekMaster

Diane
Member # 3870

Rate Member

posted November 26, 2001 22:32     Profile for Diane   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ferdinando,
I too used to be a big Abit fan, my first board with them was the PX5 then the SM5-A and it was a very good board my last board with Abit was the BX6. I bought it one week before they released the BX6 Rev2, which was a good board unlike the BX6, which was so problem prone it warranted the BX6 Rev 2.0. I called Abit and they wouldn’t exchange the board and unfortunately the online store I purchased the board from only had a 7-day return policy so there I was stuck with a board so bad they needed a major revision to fix it. If they had taken the responsible route and taken care of all those who were stuck with the buggy first edition I would have thought wow this company goofed but they took care of us.
Well I had since then used Asus and when the TH7II came out after reading the accolades on Toms not exactly my favorite site for an unbiased review. I much favor Hard OCP who calls it like it is, I thought ok maybe they have grown and changed for the better. Well this board is a representative of their company and as we know it’s not exactly showing its best face. I have called Abit several times always the same receptionist always the same tech. It makes me think Abit is running its support center out of a basement in San Francisco’s Chinese district. Or even worse the call is forwarded to Taiwan. When I have had to call Asus I have talked with quite a few different techs over the phone. All with various accents meaning I think I am calling someone here locally that cares. I hope that magic bios does appear I will be using my P4T-E by then but I am still stuck with this board and if that bios ever evolves then it would be nice to use for a second system. I too am using a 1.8 like GeekMaster. I am surprised Abit hasn’t told us that we should have used a 1.7 or 1.9 and pointed the blame to Intel. Not trying to start an Abit Asus debate I am just going from past experience and how a company chooses to handle its problems. Good luck Diane

Diane
Member # 3870

Rate Member

posted November 26, 2001 22:47     Profile for Diane   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Guys I thought I might give you another example of why I like Asus. This is the Bios released with the P4t-e 1003e.zip
P4T-E BIOS Ver. 1003 10/03/2001 this is all the bios's that are availble for download on thier german Ftp site as copied from thier index in the folder for the P4T-E
1004E.ZIP P4T-E ACPI BIOS 1004 final (=1004 beta 02)

INDEX.TXT INDEX

FINAL = beta Status
1004 = 1004.002
1003 = 1003.001
1002 = 1002.002
1001 = 1001.001

Hows that for access for at least trying to resolve or trouble shooting your board. For a board that came out about a month later then the Th7II it kind of shows you thier commitment to bios support ! Diane

All times are (GMT +08:00) Taipei  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | ABIT Q-Station