my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  FAE Tech-Forum Online   » Intel Pentium4 Motherboards   » TH7-RAID / TH7-II RAID   » Am I frying my system?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am I frying my system?
darline
Member # 3614

Rate Member

posted November 27, 2001 19:57     Profile for darline   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Since I am relatively new at the overclocking game, could someone please tell me if I am doing any damage to my system. I am running:

TH7-II Raid
1.7 CPU running @ 2013
640 MB RDram
IBM GXP 75 75GB Drive
IBM DLA 33GB Drive
WD 45 GB Drive
Soundblaster Live 5.1 Platinum
Xtasy Everything Video Card
Pioneer DVD
Plexwriter 12/10/32A CD Burner

I have undated the MB bios to the latest offered on the ABIT FTP and updated the Highpoint driver to the latest offered by Highpoint. Running Windows XP. One concern is that I am running voltage at 2.15 which is registering at 2.05 on Motherboard Manager 5.1.0.2. The CPU Temp is running at approx 104f to 115f, and I am running the Sunflower heatsink and fan. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Posts: 10 | From: Herndon Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
clee
Member # 3878

Member Rated:

posted November 27, 2001 23:15     Profile for clee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think you are running a little bit high on vcore. I used to run my P4 1.8 @ 2178 ( fsb = 121 ) with vcore
set at 2.10. I suggest you run Prime95 ( it's the best CPU torture test and guarantee to raise the temperature by a few notches) non-stop for at least 12 hours, if it doesn't fail, then you've got a pretty stable system.
I used to have the AVC for a while and I think it's the best air cooler available follows the MCX478 which is 3 times the price.
And no, you won't do any damage to your system as long as you've got good cooling. Lars in this forum is running his 1.5 @ 2.0 and I'm currently running mine with fsb=123, vcore = 2.2, after 16hrs of prime95, temp. steady at a high 55C and that's with water.
But then we're both insane overclockers, other people might think differently

p.s. Don't set fsb over 121 if you use the default divider,

Posts: 58 | From: portland or | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
darline
Member # 3614

Rate Member

posted November 28, 2001 18:42     Profile for darline   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info. I will give Prime95 a try.

I guess my second question is, is there really that much of a benefit from overclcoking a 1.7mhz to 2013mhz?

Spanky
Member # 3195

Member Rated:

posted November 29, 2001 00:17     Profile for Spanky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Your temps are well witin the specs for temp rages for the P4. Frying should not be a concern.

Hope this helps,

Spanky

darline
Member # 3614

Rate Member

posted December 10, 2001 18:45     Profile for darline   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks to all who replied to my previous questions. I have been running

TH7-II Raid (updated to new bios)
1.7mhz @ 2108mhz (124 FSB)for 5 days with no crashes or hangups.
AGP (2/3)
2.10 core voltage
640mb RDram (Samsung)
IBM GXP75 75GB Drive
IBM DLA 30GB Drive
WD 45GB Drive
Soundblaster Live 5.1 Platinum
Xtasy Everything Video Card
Pioneer DVD
Plexwriter 12/10/32A CD Burner
AVC Sunflower Cooler
Windows XP Pro
MBM 5 reports CPU Temp between 102f & 105f and CPU Voltage @ 1.98 to 2.0

Should I have any concerns? Your thoughts?

Spanky
Member # 3195

Member Rated:

posted December 11, 2001 03:56     Profile for Spanky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You look "in the range"! As long as a system is stable, go for it.

I ususally find the highest my system will run stable, and then back off a FSB jump, just to be safe, though it may not be necessary.

S

clee
Member # 3878

Member Rated:

posted December 11, 2001 10:24     Profile for clee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Did U say you were relatively "new" to OC just a cpl wks ago....and now you are doing 42 pci bus.....wow
I couldn't get mine pass 121 with 1/3 because my ATi tuner card couldn't take it.
Yeah, Sp. is right that you look "in the range" but did U loop the WinMark. Reason I asked is because you vcore @ 2.1 "might???" not be enough for a stable system but bear in mind that up the vcore from 2.1 to 2.2, only 0.1 as you see, will raise the temp. by OVER 10C under load. But good job anyway Welcome to the club.

Posts: 58 | From: portland or | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
darline
Member # 3614

Rate Member

posted December 11, 2001 18:22     Profile for darline   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
With Prime95 running for 12 hours I am still stable. I am using the Xtasty Everything video card. CPU Temp is still hanging around the 102f to 107f range...

All times are (GMT +08:00) Taipei  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | ABIT Q-Station