You are right now here: Top Page Online Forum

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  FAE Tech-Forum Online   » AMD Motherboards   » KT7 / KT7-RAID / KT7A / KT7A-RAID / KT7E   » Problems with 1.2ghz (266fsb) and KT7a

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Problems with 1.2ghz (266fsb) and KT7a
cobra
Member # 672

Rate Member

posted April 11, 2001 06:35     Profile for cobra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi

Hope someone out there can help me. I built my new pc a few days ago. The spec is as follows:
AMD Athlon 1.2ghz (266fsb)
Coolermaster DP5-6H51
KT7a running YH bios
Enlight 300w AMD Approved PSU
Voodoo3 2000 AGP card
256mb Crucial PC133 Cas2 RAM (1 Stick)
12gb Maxtor and 28gb Seagate IDE HDs
SB Live PLayer 1024 Sound Card

Problem is that when I run the chip at 1200 (9x133mhz) the PC won't boot. This happens when I exit from the bios or warm reboot. No output to monitor, no beeps. Sometimes I get it to boot and I get the BIOS ROM Checksum failure. I leave it switched off and a few mins and when I switch on again, it boots no problem. I can run Win2000 and WinME no problem once it boots, no freezing or anything.

Confusing thing is that when I clock the chip to 1200 by 12x100mhz and put the RAM bios settings to optimal settings, I get it to boot all the time every time. Before you ask I have checked the chip marking and it is a 'C' Chip. Things I have tried are as follows:

Different Memory (2 x 128mb PC133 Cas 3). Same thing happens.

Booting with only the Graphics Card. Same thing.

Trying a PCI card instead of the AGP card. Same thing.

I think I either have a dodgy Motherboard or Chip.
Does anyone else have the same problems?
Any help would be great.

Cobra.

scottieboom
Member # 676

Rate Member

posted April 12, 2001 01:01     Profile for scottieboom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have same problem, accept I never got into the computer. I built it and never got it to post. I have a kt7a with an AMD thunderbird 1.3Ghz processor. Damn. I don't know what to do. I have tried the same things that you have tried above, diff video cards, ram, chords, reseated processor about 20 times, reseated cards about 20 times. Checked powersupply hook up to motherboard. I have a 300W powersupply. . I tried reseting the CMOS and still nothing happens, accept the fans and hard drive turning on. Very frustrating. I want to play with new machine, I don't know if the motherboard or processor is damaged. I heard in pauls webpage that If you get no beeps and no posting that the motherboard may be bad. Oh yea I have a monster MC370-0A (Socket A, Socket 370) fan to keep her cool. So it is not a heat issue. Please someone help if possible.
Posts: 1 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Berserker
Member # 199

Rate Member

posted April 12, 2001 17:52     Profile for Berserker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a stupid question to ask.
Have you unlock your Athlon CPU?

Posts: 9 | From: Malaysia | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
cobra
Member # 672

Rate Member

posted April 12, 2001 18:09     Profile for cobra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The processor was bought from a company in UK called Dabs, brand new revision 'C'. I have not modified the bridges. I think the processor may be unlocked though as I am able to boot it at different multipiers.
Nitrous
Member # 581

Rate Member

posted April 12, 2001 18:40     Profile for Nitrous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Let me get this straight.....Your Machine will not boot if you set he processor a the 133 setting, but it will run at 100?
Posts: 10 | From: livonia Mi USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snowlock
Member # 731

Rate Member

posted April 28, 2001 13:04     Profile for Snowlock   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cobra,

I have a similar problem:

1.2 GHZ T-Bird C (266 FSB capable)
300W Enlight AMD Approved PSU
global WIN HSF (38 CFM)
Abit KT7A-Raid
(3)128 PC133 DIMMS
Geforce 2 Ultra
Soundblaster Live MP3+
LinkSys NIC
56k Supra Express

I can run the machine beautifully on the 200 fsb but if I set it at 266 the computer will boot, but shortly after I load windows it freezes. I'm in the process of buying a new PSU Enermax 430.

I have already tried everything in Paul's FAQ website + more. I upgraded to the Global Win HSF thinking a heat issue. Pulled new RAM from a friend, tried new video card.. Everything.. I've tried everything except the PSU.

IF I switch the PSU and it still freezes after booting windows then I obviosly have a bad component somewhere or there's a serious compatability issue... however I doubt it's a bad component... Because the system RUNS FINE AT 200 FSB!!

:-) I know I wasn't much help... But try changing your PSU

Posts: 54 | From: Ocean Springs, Mississippi, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
cobra
Member # 672

Rate Member

posted April 28, 2001 23:44     Profile for cobra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Guys

Booting problems are fixed after hours of testing. I upped the IO Voltage to 3.5v from 3.4v and boot problems have disappeared. I tried lowering the Vcore a bit but in Win2k I am getting random freezing problems. A will keep the Vcore at 1.75(default) to see how things go.

Any suggestions as to why the IO Voltage was the problem?

Thanks
Cobra

simontam
Member # 753

Rate Member

posted May 04, 2001 01:39     Profile for simontam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cobra:
[B]Guys

Booting problems are fixed after hours of testing. I upped the IO Voltage to 3.5v from 3.4v and boot problems have disappeared. I tried lowering the Vcore a bit but in Win2k I am getting random freezing problems. A will keep the Vcore at 1.75(default) to see how things go.

Any suggestions as to why the IO Voltage was the problem?

Guys,

I have the same problem and I finally found that it was the power supply (SPI 400 Watt) which failed to supply enough power to the motherboard. I now have two power supplies, one connected to the mother board alone (SPI 400 Watt) and one connected to the other peripherals devices (micro ATX 250 Watt). Althought it made the casing a little bit congest but at least it solved my booting problem.

Posts: 1 | From: hongkong | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
super tech al
Member # 773

Rate Member

posted May 09, 2001 12:30     Profile for super tech al   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HELLO,I THINK THE PROBLEM IN A BAD MOBO. MY FRIEND JUST BUILT ONE LAST WEEK WITH THE EXACT SAME PROBLEMS AND HE TOOK THE MOBO BACK TO WERE HE BOUGHT IT AND THEY SAID IT WAS FRIED!THEY GOT HIM A NEW ONE IN A COUPLE OF DAYS AND SO FAR SO GOOD.I AM ALMOST DONE BUILDING MINE WITH A NEW KT7-A MOBO.I BOUGHT MINE AT THE SAME TIME AS MY FRIEND.I HOPE MINE IS NOT BAD EITHER!WE WILL SOON FIND OUT.GOOD LUCK.
Posts: 2 | From: Baltimore,MD.USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
darthxmark
Member # 776

Rate Member

posted May 09, 2001 16:17     Profile for darthxmark     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i believe the problem is w/ your memory setting. Try setting it to medium, then go to fast.
McFly682
Member # 788

Rate Member

posted May 10, 2001 10:48     Profile for McFly682   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, i tried the I/O voltage change and it actually booted windows, but caused a general protection fault right before the desktop showed up, so i upped the voltage to 3.6v and tried again and windows actually booted up, even the desktop. But, it had a hard time running programs and finally crapped out. This is at least progress. I was afraid to up the voltage any further as im not sure of the consequences. Can anyone help? Is it a power supply problem? I do have a 250w power supply which might not have enough juice. I have ordered a AMD 1.2 certified case and 300w power supply and i hope this fixes the prob. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
KT7A Raid mobo
1.2 AMD (266fsb)
128 PC133 Kingmax TinyBGA
30GB WD Cavaiar 7200rpm
Hercules Prophet II Ultra
Mid Case w/250W PS
Velo CDRW
Generic CDROM
Generic Floppy
Creative Blaster Sound

Posts: 10 | From: morgantown, wv USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
McFly682
Member # 788

Rate Member

posted May 11, 2001 00:40     Profile for McFly682   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok. Here is an update that may help you all. I have just received the new kingmax 256mb pc150 sdram i had ordered and installed it in place of the 128mb pc133. I didnt change a thing in the mobo except for changing the cpu to the 133/33 setting. Sure enough it booted right up and works great. I have no idea why the 128mb pc133 sdram didnt work, maybe it was worn out or something. I am, however, positive that it was 128mb pc133 because it was stamped right on the stick. Maybe this will help you all with your problems. I got the sdram from www.kommax.com for $95.00. Good luck. I hope this helps.

------------------
KT7A Raid mobo
1.2 AMD (266fsb)
128 PC133 Kingmax TinyBGA
30GB WD Cavaiar 7200rpm
Hercules Prophet II Ultra
Mid Case w/250W PS
Velo CDRW
Generic CDROM
Generic Floppy
Creative Blaster Sound

Posts: 10 | From: morgantown, wv USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Phalin
Member # 787

Rate Member

posted May 11, 2001 04:00     Profile for Phalin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Perhaps I am missing something here, but I thought the DDR 1200 was for the 200MHz FSB MB and you needed to run the DDR 2100 mem in the 266FSB boards.
wilkey
Member # 496

Rate Member

posted May 11, 2001 11:09     Profile for wilkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Give this a try. Set the multiplier to the correct value for your CPU. Slightly Overclock the FSB to 136Mhz. This fixed? my system.

Bye

tutonefaho
Member # 806

Rate Member

posted May 12, 2001 10:20     Profile for tutonefaho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Phalin, you are missing something herre. the KT7 series uses SDRAM, not DDR
BillyPete
Member # 816

Rate Member

posted May 13, 2001 10:16     Profile for BillyPete   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Go with the bigger Power Supply period. This is a major cause of a number of issues reguarding undervoltage on boot.You will be amazed at all the little things that stop happening after installing a 425w quality PS.

1Gig Tbird @ 1420Mhz
KT7a-RAID
& all the goodies

------------------

Posts: 1 | From: Kennewick, WA. USofA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CDAudio
Member # 1123

Rate Member

posted June 01, 2001 18:42     Profile for CDAudio   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
300watts is the MINIMUM for the gigahert chips, 400w or better is recommended. You can also try setting the cas latency to 3 instead of 2, slam the ram speed to turbo....essentially play with some speed settings in BIOS until you find the happy medium that makes the system stable. If your system is locking up during a game, it's from an overheat that kicks in the hardware warnings, but you won't see it because you were in the game and not at desktop. If it resets, it's choking on power. Heat seems to be the evil bastard hurting these systems, it wasn't until this M/B that I ever saw a fan on a chip on the M/B itself. It's my guess that somewhere, something in the system is either (1) overheating or (2)choking on a lack of power or (3)an incorrect bios setting (4)combination of 1 and 2(lack of power will actually cause chips to run hotter, so will overclocking).

Dammit Scotty I've got to have more power.

[ June 01, 2001: Message edited by: CDAudio ]

Posts: 10 | From: Cleve. OH. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
cobra
Member # 672

Rate Member

posted June 01, 2001 19:42     Profile for cobra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I now have a new bigger case with a 431w PSU. Even used some artic silver on the CPU and heatsink. This had brought temps down by 4oC but I still have the warm restart problem occasionally. I think I have the Northbridge 'bug'. This has been denied by VIA, but if you look at the history of this post, all things point towards that.
Any one agree or disagree? Remember I have changed all components except for Motherboard and CPU. The problem only happens when I run the chip at 133mhz FSB, no overclocking done either.

Cheers

Cobra

Charlie
Member # 1135

Rate Member

posted June 02, 2001 06:58     Profile for Charlie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I can't even get my KT7A to post. All I get is four beeps and it shuts down. I have tried eventhing in the book but can't get it to fire.

ABIT KT7A
Athlon 1.33GHZ 266FSB
IBM 40 GIG HD
256 MB PC133 (Tested in other PCs)
300W Deer PS
Global Win CAK38 HS
GForce2 Video

pyaralii
Member # 1178

Rate Member

posted June 05, 2001 07:46     Profile for pyaralii   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am in a worse situation. I have a KT7a, 256mb ram, one 40 gb maxtor ata 100, another western digital 45 gb, 1ghz ahthlon 266 fsb, and a tnt2 32 mb agp. I can't even get the system to post. I dont get anything on the screen. Anybody have any ideas on how to get the damn thing started. I tried removing the cmos jumper and also the fan is in the fan 1 socket. I removed all my hds and cd roms and all that is connected is my ram,processors, and videocard. HelP?
[EMAIL]null[/EMAIL]

mixman7956
Member # 1200

Rate Member

posted June 06, 2001 16:36     Profile for mixman7956   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe i can help on this matter.
System Spec:
AMD 1.2ghz(266fsb)
Mircon Cas 2/256 mb PC 133
AMD Heatsink oem
KT7A-Raid
All-in-Wonder Radeon 32MB
3 Maxtor Hardrives 1(30gb-100)2(15gb-66)
Sound Blaster Live Platinum + 5.1
Aopen DVD 12x
Acer CR-RW 10x
Zip 100
IWIN Full Tower Case
300 Power Supply Dual Fan
4 Case Fan and 1 Harddrive Dual Fan
Now to this problem:The bios on this board has two setting for the 1.2 one at 100/33 and the other at 133/33
When i have it set at 100/33 and the Host clk+ pci it run at 200fsb at 133 memory and all pci cards:AGP bus 4x66(264),Pci bus 33 mhz,isa bus 8 and 4 mhz check with SiSoft Sandra runs very nice.
When set at 1.2ghz at 133/33 all my cards run very high agp 356mhz,pci 44mhz and isa 11 and 8mhz still works but i care not to cook the cards.So i drop down to 100/33
I believe the board does't support the amd 266fsb chip,but funny that it is listed in the BIOS at 1200(133/33).So my point is unplug the power cable, clear the bios and set it back to 100/33 what every your processor speed is.Good Luck

[ June 07, 2001: Message edited by: mixman7956 ]

Posts: 2 | From: nyc | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jym4ever
Member # 747

Rate Member

posted June 06, 2001 20:22     Profile for jym4ever   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Read this topic:
web page

Posts: 9 | From: CAEN, france | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nightmare
Member # 1205

Rate Member

posted June 07, 2001 08:47     Profile for Nightmare   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I also had difficulty with the KT7A Raid and a 1GHX AXIA "C" cpu. I have an 1GHZ AVHA "B" that will boot fine at 10X100 but the AXIA will not boot at 7.5X133.

I have been told that there are many complaints floating around the web about problems with the KT7A Raid booting at 133. I was told that I have a faulty board so I am going to contact ABIT about a replacement.

Any other suggestions?

pyaralii
Member # 1178

Rate Member

posted June 07, 2001 13:02     Profile for pyaralii   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
IT is a KT133A chipset though, shouldn't it support 266 mhz bus. I have a friend and he has the same board. He was able to get it to 700 mhz and somehow after dinking around for some time he got it to work at 1ghz and it was a 266 mhz bus.
Snowlock
Member # 731

Rate Member

posted June 09, 2001 02:26     Profile for Snowlock   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I used to have the same problem.. If you look further up in the posts.. you'll see one from me. I fixed my problem by disabling ACPI in the BIOS.

I had to download a modified bios to do this, but it solved my problems. My system runs so smooth now.

Posts: 54 | From: Ocean Springs, Mississippi, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
curtoid
Member # 1307

Member Rated:

posted June 14, 2001 01:46     Profile for curtoid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Many people seem to be having a problem getting their KT7A-Raid running with the 133/266 fsb setting. After reading all the FAQ's and visiting many forums, I have tried most of the recommended BIOS tweeks to no avail. I am convinced that there is a problem with the Via KT133A northbridge chipset. One of the other postings in this thread mentions a German article on the subject. I would also direct you to PCNut.com, which has stopped selling the mobo. Rob Keller, from their tech support department, informed me that the last 2 cases of motherboards would not run stable with any 266 fsb CPU that the tried. The same CPU's worked fine on other boards. I am still waiting for RMA authorization from Abit.

System specs:
1 G Tbird C
256 M PC133 Micron RAM from Crucial
KT7A-RAID
Radeon 64 M Video Card
SB Live! Value
30 G IBM Deskstar ATA100 HD
48X Mitsumi CD

Posts: 1 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eddy X
Member # 1041

Rate Member

posted June 14, 2001 04:46     Profile for Eddy X   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Having a T-bird 1000 at 266Mhz, no complaints at all, working fast and stable (after corrections of mistakes i made in bios settings).

Eddy

Posts: 51 | From: Belgium | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ozeman
Member # 1312

Rate Member

posted June 14, 2001 14:53     Profile for Ozeman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am having the same problems.
I just rebuilt my system last week.
AMD 1.33C CPU
ABIT KT7-A
Enermax 350w powersupply.
Diamond Viper V770 TNT2 video card.
Corsair PC150 Cas2 128mb Ram.
Thermengine V60-4210 with YS-Tech 6800rpm fan
Windows 98se

I cannot get my system to boot when I set
X10 133/33, Only works on X12.5 100/33
I have replaced the Ram, & the CPU.
The only thing I have not replaced so far is the motherboard.
I have not tried any modifications to the bios upart from the CPU settings.

Posts: 2 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jym4ever
Member # 747

Rate Member

posted June 14, 2001 17:44     Profile for jym4ever   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have the same problem with my KT7A when using 133fsb, the system is unstable and it's impossible warm rebooting. That's why after known this info: http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000635
I've decided to contact my assembler to change the motherboard.
The motherboard have been return to Abit france.

[ June 14, 2001: Message edited by: jym4ever ]

Posts: 9 | From: CAEN, france | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dr Kevorkian
Member # 1185

Rate Member

posted June 16, 2001 11:56     Profile for Dr Kevorkian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have the AMD 1.2 CPU (266 FSB), and have no problems (other than my SB Live causing a "poping" sound at shutdown). My bios is set at the 133/33 setting.
Can someone explain to me what the voltage range settings (user vs. default) mean on the VIA Hardware Monitor program? I think the "user" setting allows my CPU run 10 degrees cooler (45C) than the "default" setting (54C). Is that a normal temperature range?
This is the first computer for me to build, and I am not into the overclocking....... yet. I have a lot more to learn.
Thanks in advance.

--------------------

KT7A-RAID (no other RAID devices installed)
AMD 1.200 T-Bird (266 FSB)
Alpha PAL35 Heatsink w/YS Tech Fan
256 MB PC-133 Kingston memory
WD 40 GB hard drive (7200 RPM)
HP 9100B CDR/W
Aopen 1232 CDR/W
ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 32MB DDR (AGP Slot)
SB Live 5.1 + MP3 (PCI 2)
Pinnacle DV200 capture card (PCI 3)
Toshiba USB cable modem
Microsoft USB keyboard
Paperport Strobe & HP printer (LPT1)
Windows ME

Ozeman
Member # 1312

Rate Member

posted June 16, 2001 17:22     Profile for Ozeman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am replacing my MotherBoard this week as well, I shall let yous know if this fixed the problem.

Finally someone has veriefied just as I have thought all along that there is a fault in some of the Chipsets.

Posts: 2 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are (GMT +08:00) Taipei  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | ABIT Q-Station