my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  FAE Tech-Forum Online   » AMD Motherboards   » KT7 / KT7-RAID / KT7A / KT7A-RAID / KT7E   » Win98SE Unable to Detect HDDs Properly

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Win98SE Unable to Detect HDDs Properly
Vid Baby
Member # 3793

Rate Member

posted October 22, 2001 11:04     Profile for Vid Baby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi All,

I am new to this, so please bare with me and this long question.

I have just upgraded to a KT7A-Raid V1.2 Motherboard with a 1.4 GHz TBird and 2 x 256 MB of SDRAM.

The system was able to boot up fine and Win98SE was able to reconfigure itself and ask for all the necessary drivers.

I now have 2 main problems:

1. Although the Bios accurately detects my HDDs on IDE1 as "Quantum Fireball CX6.4A A3F.0B00" as the Master and "IBM-DAQA-33240 R6ORA53A" as the Slave, Windows identifies them both as Type 47 instead. The strange thing is that although the Quantum is capable of UDMA, I cannot enable DMA in Windows. As a result I can only achieve read speeds of about 2 Mb/s in HD Tach benchmarks. The IBM HDD, on the other hand, is only capable of PIO 4 but in Windows I can enable it to use DMA and I can achieve read speeds of about 12 Mb/s. Does anybody know how I can get Windows to identify my HDDs correctly and use them at their full potential? By the way, the PC sometimes reboots itself when I attempt to benchmark the HDDs. I encounter non of the above problems with my other 2 HDDs - one each on IDE3 and IDE4.

2. I cannot get power management to run properly on my PC. I need this feature to work properly because I need to leave the machine on all day. If I put the machine to standby using Start Menu->Shutdown->Standby, I cannot get it to wake up again without rebooting. Anybody know how to fix this? If I allow the machine to go to sleep by waiting for my Power Management settings to kick in, I notice that the monitor powers down and the HDDs on IDE1 spin down but not those on IDE3 and IDE4. The CPU fan does not stop rotating no matter how long I wait so I know the machine is not completely in standby. However, I can wake up the machine by moving the mouse or pressing a key if I let it go to "Standby" by waiting. Does any one know how I can troubleshoot this?

My system configuration is as follows:

-KT7ARaid with 1.4 GHz TBird and 2x256 MB RAM
-Quantum Fireball 6.4 GB (Master) and IBM Deskstar 3.2 GB (Slave) on IDE1 using a 40-way cable.
-Asus 40x CD-ROM Drive (Slave) on IDE2 using a 40-way cable.
-IBM Deskstar 40GB (60GXP) as Master on IDE3 using a 80-way cable.
-IBM Deskstar 10GB as Master on IDE4 using a 80-way cable.
-300W Power Supply.
-Creative SB Live Value Sound PCI Card
-Adaptec 2940UW SCSI PCI Card connected to a Yamaha 4416S CDRW Drive.
-Hauppauge IEEE1394 Firewire PCI Card
-Matrox Mystique G200 AGP Card
-Parallel Port Expansion ISA Card
-KT7ARaid Bios updated to 4A with Highpoint BIOS v2.0.1019
-Via 4in1 version 4.34 drivers used

Any suggestions and comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

NAC NAC
Member # 3133

Member Rated:

posted October 22, 2001 12:58     Profile for NAC NAC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You have alot of stuff running on your machine -- you might need a 350-400 watt power supply.
Also, swap out your 40 wires for 80's
Disconnect some of your drives and see if they register differently with less equipment attached.

*****BIG QUESTION*****
1:If you upgraded your motherboard to kt7a-raid, and you had all of this on another board -- what was the board?
2:When you installed your Via service pack, did you check off enable DMA on the drives?

--------------------

ABIT KT7A-RAID
TBIRD 1.13/266fsb O/C'd 1.3(9.5x136)
3x256 (768)pc133 CRUCIAL SDRAM cas2
WIN 98 SE
13.6WD/5400rpm/ATA66
30.0WD/7200rpm/ATA100
PLEXTOR 16x10x40x CDRW
HIVAL 24x DVD
Nvidia/Riva TNT2 pro64
SB PCI512
-------------
NAC NAC

Posts: 125 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vid Baby
Member # 3793

Rate Member

posted October 22, 2001 13:16     Profile for Vid Baby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HI Nac Nac,

Thanks for the tip. I will give your suggestion a try.

I cannot remember if there was an option to enable DMA when I installed the Via v4.34 4in1 drivers. However, if there was one, I would definitely have enable it (unless I missed it). Anyway, just to be sure, I will reinstall the drivers. Should I delete the existing drivers first? What is the recommended way to reinstall the drivers? By the way, are the 4in1 drivers the same thing as the service pack that you mentioned?

Vid Baby
Member # 3793

Rate Member

posted October 22, 2001 13:19     Profile for Vid Baby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Nac Nac,

Sorry, I forgot to answer your other question. My old motherboard was a Shuttle HOT663 with a 400MHz Celeron and 1x256MB + 1x128MB RAM and at that time I had one HDD less as there were only 2 IDE connectors on that board.

NAC NAC
Member # 3133

Member Rated:

posted October 22, 2001 13:29     Profile for NAC NAC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Also, we need to know what speed your hard drives are (5400 or 7200rpm) and the ATA's
For instance my main drive on IDE 1 is a
Western Digital 20GIG 7200rpm ata100.
Now that is faster than my WD 13.6 5400rpm ata 66. They both are connected up with 80's.
My physical benchmark on the 20 gig is 5.9mb per sec with Norton. The Logical Benchmark is 159mb per sec. read & 151mb per sec.write.

Windows reports both as type 47's also,but everything else reports them correctly -- Norton-Sandra-system Bios-PCpitstop---so I don't worry about what the device manager tells me about generic type 47 ide's--It reports this because your windows operating system is using Windows drivers for your hard drives.

Hope I haven't confused you too much!!!!
Michael

--------------------

ABIT KT7A-RAID
WIN 98 SE
13.6WD/5400rpm/ATA66
30.0WD/7200rpm/ATA100
PLEXTOR 16x10x40x CDRW
HIVAL 24x DVD
Nvidia/Riva TNT2 pro64
SB PCI512
-------------
NAC NAC

NAC NAC
Member # 3133

Member Rated:

posted October 22, 2001 13:47     Profile for NAC NAC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
NOTE TO YOUR PREVIOUS POST:
Yes, service pack is your 4 in 1 drivers.
don't worry about uninstalling your drivers.

ANOTHER QUESTION: you did wipe your master boot hard drive before you started this whole process? All your drives should be reformatted, if possible.I know it's a pain in the butt.
Also, if you are going to RAID these drives it is suggested that you use the same MAKE & Models. The sizes don't really matter.
Now that is just a suggestion that is in your manual -- don't forget to read up on it!!

*** ALWAYS START WITH CLEAN FORMATTED HARD DRIVES WHEN INSTALLING A NEW BOARD,UNLESS IT'S THE SAME EXACT BOARD, OR THE EXACT SAME CHIP SET ON THE BOARD<--(JUST TO BE SAFE).If the HD's are brand new then don't worry.

I apologize if I am telling you things that you already are aware of.

Let us know how everything is coming along !!!
Michael

--------------------

ABIT KT7A-RAID
WIN 98 SE
13.6WD/5400rpm/ATA66
30.0WD/7200rpm/ATA100
PLEXTOR 16x10x40x CDRW
HIVAL 24x DVD
Nvidia/Riva TNT2 pro64
SB PCI512
-------------
NAC NAC

Vid Baby
Member # 3793

Rate Member

posted October 22, 2001 15:21     Profile for Vid Baby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Nac Nac,

I do not know every detail about my all my hard disks as some of them are quite old. But this is what I do know:

IDE1 Master: Quantum Fireball 6.4 GB ATA66
IDE1 Slave: IBM Deskstar 3.2 GB PIO4
IDE3 Master: IBM Deskstar 40 GB (60GXP, Brand new)ATA100 7200RPM 2MB Cache
IDE4 Master: IBM Deskstar 10 GB ATA33

Sad to say I did not reformat my HDDs when I replaced the motherboard. I did not see any reason too once Windows as able to detect and load all the relevant drivers when I clicked on "Add New Hardware" in the Control Panel after installing the 4in1 drivers and HPT370 drivers. It would be a real pain to do it as I would have to re-install Windows and all my software and related patches all over again.

At the moment, I do not intend to use my HDDs in a Raid configuration.

Just to be sure, how do I re-install my IDE drivers? Should I use those included in the Via 4in1 or those that come standard with Windows? I think they are called IDE Bus Master Drivers.

Finally, no, you did not confuse me and do not worry about telling me things that I already know. I am only too glad that someone is willing to lend me a helping hand. After all, there is always a chance that there is something obvious that I may have overlooked.

NAC NAC
Member # 3133

Member Rated:

posted October 22, 2001 23:42     Profile for NAC NAC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You can go either way with your ide drivers, I'm not sure which work best. I have the Via bus master controllers in mine.
To find out what you have, right click your my computer Icon. Open up properties - look in device manager under hard disk controllers. What does it say there? VIA?
Then open up the controllers & you can find out what version, ETC.
If you want you can go to: www.viahardware.com/download/index.shtm#4in1

This has all the driver updates on it, and fixes - like S/B live fix. everyone has problems with the soundblaster install --
The Abit board doesn't like it.

I stay with the VIA Drivers
Hope this helps you,
Michael

--------------------

ABIT KT7A-RAID
WIN 98 SE
13.6WD/5400rpm/ATA66
30.0WD/7200rpm/ATA100
PLEXTOR 16x10x40x CDRW
HIVAL 24x DVD
Nvidia/Riva TNT2 pro64
SB PCI512
-------------
NAC NAC

Vid Baby
Member # 3793

Rate Member

posted October 23, 2001 14:54     Profile for Vid Baby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Nac Nac,

Ok, so Type 47 detected under Win98SE's Device Manager is fine but I still have the problem that I cannot enable DMA and suffer from very slow transfer rates. I can only achieve average read speeds of about 2 Mb/s. My drive index in Norton SI is only 2.3. Any ideas on how I can get DMA to stick and work in the Device Manager?

I personally also prefer to use the VIA IDE drivers if possible. I have also checked out the Via patch for the SBLive problem, it has already been included in the v4.34 4in1 drivers. Am I right?

In the Device Manager under HDD Controllers, I can see the Via Bus Master Driver. But the driver's version was listed as unknown, so I do know if the correct version is being used. The other 2 driver files listed for the Primary and Secondary IDE controllers were from Microsoft. Is this correct?

NAC NAC
Member # 3133

Member Rated:

posted October 23, 2001 22:35     Profile for NAC NAC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Ya VID,
When you have say a hard drive as master on IDE1 with a 80 wire cable and this drive could be is a 7400 rpm/ata 100 drive -that drive will work pretty well(good benchmark)
But, when you have it setup as master with a slave drive that is a 5400rpm/ata66 - it will slow down the faster drive to bencmark the same.
It doesn't matter which drive you have as master or slave, the slower drive will always win with the benchmark, and slow down the faster drive.
Have you tried using just your IBM 7200rpm
ATA100 as the single drive on IDE1 and benchmark it. Don't forget to change the jumper on the back of the drive to single when you test it.
This will give you accurate benchmarks. It will be hard for you, because you have all different types & speeds of hard drives.

As to your other question about device manager - My bus master is version 6 by VIA
with no driver date
The controllers are both Microsoft. Same spec set as you.

You have tried to enable DMA in the device manager on your type47 drives when you open their box? It wouldn' stick? -- We will get into that next !~
Anyway, try benching just your IBM 40GIG & see what you come up with. The reason you get low benches the other way is because of your slower drives being connected to your faster drives.

Get back to me so I know if you benched different.
P.S. Are you sure that all four drives are UDMA capable?
Just to make sure - you know that you should never run a hard drive on the same line with a cd drive? I had to ask, because i.ve seen it before. This slows your HD also...

--------------------

ABIT KT7A-RAID
WIN 98 SE
13.6WD/5400rpm/ATA66
30.0WD/7200rpm/ATA100
PLEXTOR 16x10x40x CDRW
HIVAL 24x DVD
Nvidia/Riva TNT2 pro64
SB PCI512
-------------
NAC NAC

Vid Baby
Member # 3793

Rate Member

posted October 24, 2001 14:04     Profile for Vid Baby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Nac Nac,

If you read my original post, you will realise that my 40GB HDD is on IDE3 by itself and I have no problems with it. My problem is with my Quantum Fireball 6.4 GB HDD (Master) on IDE1 together with my IBM 3.2 GB Deskstar (Slave). I could not get DMA to stick for the Fireball. It is at least capable of ATA33 or UDMA 2. Perhaps the Deskstar is slowing it down as it can only manage PIO 4. Please read my other posts to you for the rest of the details.

I will try to disconnect the Deskstar and redo the Benchmarks. The only problem is then my Drive letters get shifted. I will have to do a Ghost first .....

Vid Baby
Member # 3793

Rate Member

posted October 30, 2001 13:19     Profile for Vid Baby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Guys (especially Nac Nac),

Thanks for all your feedback on this topic. I finally managed to solve my problem last weekend.

The main problem was with the Via IDE Bus Master drivers. For some reason when I installed them, they did not completely overide those provided with Win98SE. I tried deleting them (Microsoft) at first so that I can reinstall the Via 4in1 Drivers after rebooting but everytime I reboot they get reinstalled. Later, I unzipped the Via 4in1 drivers to a directory and forced Windows to take the drivers from that directory containing the Via drivers when it prompted for them during start up and everything was ok.

I also had to remove my old 3.2GB Deskstar (Slave) from IDE1 before I could enable DMA for my Quantum Fireball that was on the same IDE1 as Master. Now I can achieve burst read speeds of about 50 MB/s instead of the meagre 2 MB/s of before.

All times are (GMT +08:00) Taipei  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | ABIT Q-Station