my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  FAE Tech-Forum Online   » AMD Motherboards   » KG7 / KG7-RAID / KG7-Lite   » In desperate search of KG7 help

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: In desperate search of KG7 help
Brian P. Cleary
Member # 4728

Rate Member

posted December 01, 2001 15:53     Profile for Brian P. Cleary   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Evening...or morning, as it now is for me. I've spent the last nine hours trying to rebuild my machine, and I feel like I'm almost ready to take a jigsaw to the thing. Ok, here are the specs:
Kg7 Standard
256 mb non-registered DDR ram
Athlon XP1800
Sblive Audigy Xgamer
Guillimont Geforce3 Ti200
Western Dig 60gb ata 100 hd
HP CD16 CDRW

Ok, that's all I've got in the box right now...before you flame me for not reading, I did my homework before posting here. Had a netgear card...yanked it...didn't seem to make any improvement. Went over the the "optimized" kg7 settings at that guys forum post - all they did was give me loud long anguished bios beeps. At this point, all my computer will do is get to "verifying dmi pool" and hang. I flashed the bios before this, and was able to install the update dealing with my athlon processor, and I hoped that would solve the majority of my problems...but alas, I'm still totally screwed. I'm exhausted and I can't get the thing to work and I'm worried that I'll cause more damage than anything else if I continue mucking around. Please - need help. I can't get anything to work. HELP!@

Thanks

Brian P. Cleary

Posts: 4 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
boogie
Member # 1477

Member Rated:

posted December 01, 2001 23:34     Profile for boogie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice setup. Was thinking of getting the Audigy card.

Not sure what all you know so let start over.

Fdisk drive and immediatly format it ?
Remove all devices except HD, ram, vid card, floppy. Boot from a Windows startup disk with Fdisk.exe and format.com on it too.
Fdisk, create a primary partition, save and exit. Reboot with the start up disk and at the a: prompt type format c: /s. (Assuming you get that far)

When done, remove floppy and reboot. If it comes up with a c:\ your home free.

If that don't work, pull the mobo out of the case and set it on a non-conductive surface. Install all the devices mentioned above, plug in the psu and start from there.

Let us know how you make out and what all you have already tried.

--------------------

KG7
1.4 TB with Dragon Orb 3
256 PC2400 DDR cas2 Corsair memory
Xitel A3D sound card
Netgear NIC FA310TX version
Gainward GeForce 3 (235/565 core/mem modded cooling)
30 gig IBM (3 partitions)
45 gig Maxtor
Win98se and Win XP
My benchmarks: link semi-broke, workin on it =)
Boogie's Benchmarks

boogie
Member # 1477

Member Rated:

posted December 01, 2001 23:44     Profile for boogie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Another thing, is the HD plugged into IDE1 on the mobo? IS HD set as master with the jumper?

And did you go into the BIOS and then go STANDARD CMOS SETUP to adjust the TYPE and MODE of IDEs to AUTO, don't forget to save the setting.

Set primary boot device to HDD0 in the BIOS.
Set up boot sequence to A,C,cdrom in the BIOS.

Make sure ram is firmly seated and cpu multi and fsb are correctly set in the BIOS.

One more thing
>>>>>>READ THIS<<<<<<<<<

[ December 01, 2001: Message edited by: boogie ]

--------------------

KG7
1.4 TB with Dragon Orb 3
Xitel A3D sound card
45 gig Maxtor
Win98se and Win XP
Boogie's Benchmarks

Brian P. Cleary
Member # 4728

Rate Member

posted December 02, 2001 01:56     Profile for Brian P. Cleary   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Afternoon
Appreciate the suggestions, but I'm unfourntatly not able to fdisk or partition yet - like I said, I'm continually hanging at "verifying DMI pool data" whenever I try to boot. It also seems maddenly difficult to get the thing to just post consistently....sometimes I'll boot up or reset or ctrl-alt-del and all I get is the fan's and hard drive spinning up, no post beep, and my monitor goes to powersave. As of right now, I've only got the bare essentials connected to the mobo in the case, and I cannot get it to boot so I could even start installing windows from a bootable cd.
Need additional help PLEASE!#@

Thanks

Brian P. Cleary

Brian P. Cleary
Member # 4728

Rate Member

posted December 02, 2001 03:00     Profile for Brian P. Cleary   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, I've made an odd observation that maybe someone can help me figure out....I can get the machine to consistently post now - Miracles aside, I'm still trying to get past this damnable DMI Pool data update crap - the only way I've figured out to get past it so far is to yank the powersupply cable/ide cable for my hard drive or to set my HD type as "none" - so somehow, the hard drive i have is gunking up the works here...any suggestions?
Brian P. Cleary
Member # 4728

Rate Member

posted December 02, 2001 03:33     Profile for Brian P. Cleary   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think I got it

After figuring out the boot problem, I decided to rearrange my boot order to floppy, CDROM, HDD0 - for whatever reason, it seems like the unformatted HD was reading as a boot device, even though it had nothing on it to boot...hence, floop. Right now I've got the windows installer working on the thing and I think I'm making progress...continue to wish me luck, I'll still need it. Plus, if you've got any information, suggestions or changes that you'd recommend to my rig, give me a yell.
I appreciate everyone's help.

Brian P. Cleary

boogie
Member # 1477

Member Rated:

posted December 02, 2001 07:01     Profile for boogie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I think I got it

My favorite quote !!

Keep us posted.

--------------------

KG7
1.4 TB with Dragon Orb 3
Xitel A3D sound card
45 gig Maxtor
Win98se and Win XP
Boogie's Benchmarks

All times are (GMT +08:00) Taipei  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | ABIT Q-Station